5 Things You Will Inevitably Learn When Visiting a Friend’s School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

As your mother most likely loves to recall whilst on a “much needed” vacation, sometimes it’s nice just to get away.

Of course, you love your school far more than you could ever love or appreciate any of its many counterparts. You love the strange quirks that define your specific campus, the familiar studying spots dispersed throughout the grounds and the faces of students — both known and unknown — that you pass on your way to class.

But sometimes you just need a break.

You’re craving a weekend-long escape from the familiarity of the very faces and campus hotspots you hold so dear.

So you call up a friend, book a five dollar bus ride on your phone, pack your weekend bag with a toothbrush and a change of clothes and begin your (hopefully not too long) journey to a neighboring state, in which you can finally get a taste of what you fear you’ve been missing out on for all this time.

Here are the five things that you will inevitably learn when visiting a friend’s school:

1. Reunited And It Feels So Good

Reuniting with your best friends from back home always gives you something to look forward to.

Whether you’re partying the weekend away with them in a filthy frat basement, or spending a few nights in their pint-sized apartment watching your shared favorite films, you’re bound to have nothing short of a ball.

Beware of the fact that you will have to forego any weekend studying or homework plans that you hoped to complete, because work on such a weekend with old friends is simply out of the question.

2. You + Me = Party

Experiencing a party scene vastly different from your own is comparable to the culture shock experienced when one travels to a foreign country for the very first time.

Whether it be a sketchy bar scene, or that filthy, rat infested frat house, intimate get-togethers or enormous college-sized crowds, whether you’re totally plastered or pulled together, you’re sure to get a taste of the other side’s vastly different weekend rituals.

3. Food Free For All

Food is easily the favorite pastime of every and all college students and each campus has their very own array of signature delicacies. Whether it be a recently-opened Mexican place on Main Street with a burrito bar that would put Chipotle to shame or a state-of-the-art dining hall with an alphabetic array of stations at which you may choose to dine, you would be a fool not to take advantage of this college-culture’s feast of options available to you.

4.) City Slicker or Country Bumpkin

Sure, maybe you’re set on your school’s very specific setting and location; however, sometimes its nice to see how the other half lives. If you’re a country-junkie, maybe it’s time to hop on a subway underneath a bustling cityscape in which you can explore all sorts of storefronts with your old friend. If you’re a city kid looking to spend a weekend away from it all, then it may be very well worth your time to take a visit a sprawlingly lonesome campus in the middle of nowhere at which you can soak in the gorgeous scenery surrounding the school. Either way, your friend will be sure to guide you through this otherwise unfamiliar terrain and teach you the ropes of this exotic atmosphere.

5.) Your School Rules

If a weekend filled with partying, food and friendship is exactly what you needed to knock yourself out of the mid-semester blues, then a trip to another campus will surely refresh you. You will undoubtedly have a great weekend visiting your much-missed friends, but, despite all this, you will inevitably realize that your heart belongs back in the crowded dorm-room or apartment building that you call home, and you could never spend more than a weekend, or break, away. 

Just a quirky and relatable girl who is actively attempting to smash the patriarchy.
Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda