12 Ways You Know You’re a Student at The University of Delaware

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

If you are truly a University of Delaware student, then you know that there are just some things that our campus is famous for. Whether that may be getting corrected to say “Newark” with the right dialect or not being able to jaywalk to class because you could get a ticket, we all go through it together, students from the East and West coasts alike. But no matter where you came from, at the end of the day, the “302” is our home. So here are 12 reasons why we all love our home here at UD:

1. 1. At least one day a week you will walk outside and smell, that smell. The pungent odor that lingers across campus while walking to class that you will never get used to. Is it the cows? The sewers? We will never know.

2.  Saturdays have become a ritualistic event at this point with a sequence that follows:

A cheap meal on Main Street, followed by a nap and ending with wearing your “dage” makeup out the same night because you are too lazy to redo it.

3. When you consider Snap Pizza fine dining because to us, it one hundred percent is

4. You have witnessed The Kirkbride Jesus (aka the crazy preacher man) doing his thing, but have never stopped to talk to him.

5. When you are waiting for your Uber and realize it is Uber Leroy and you just know that you are starting the night off right.  

6.  Waiting twenty minutes for Newark Deli and Bagels on a Sunday morning, hoping not one person recognizes you as the girl who requested London Bridge ten times the night before.

7. When Joe Biden comes to visit and everyone you have ever met is on the Green.

8. You love Tuesdays because you most likely already have your outfit for the day.

9. When you have a class anytime before noon and it is on the third floor of Gore Hall.

10. You will skip your lecture to wait in the twenty minute Starbucks line in Smith Hall.

11. Spending hours until the 2 A.M closing just studying in Morris Library, only to realize dropping out would not be the worst idea.

12.  Treating yourself to UDairy after doing absolutely nothing.

No matter how you spend your time at UD, we can all relate to loving our university.

Alex is a Sophomore at the University of Delaware and is looking forward to moving over into the business school in the spring of 2018. She enjoys making, and indulging in healthy enjoyable food and maintaining an active lifestyle, but she also enjoys staying in some nights and watching movies with her friends, especially 80's movies and scary movies. She is from Westchester, NY and loves going to the city but also enjoys the quiet in her hometown along with exploring the hidden gems of NY. Alex also enjoys writing and reading in her free time, including books like We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver and It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini.
Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.