burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ylenia Elvy-Panton: President of Project Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Ylenia Elvy-Panton is the President of Project Fashion, UConn’s only fashion club on campus. She met up with us to tell us more about what Project Fashion does as an organization and to tell us more about what it takes to plan a fashion show on campus! 

Name: Ylenia Elvy-Panton

Year: Senior

Major/Minor: Journalism, Economics

Hometown: Glen Cove, New York

Hobbies/Interests: Fashion (of course LOL), music, and rugby! I’ve been on the UConn Women’s Rugby team since freshman year.

I know that you are really into fashion. How would you describe your personal style? 

YP: My personal style is really all over the place. One day I’m in a patterned shirt and mom jeans, another day I’m wearing a dress and platform boots. It all depends on my mood, but most of my looks are inspired by the 80s and 90s. 

For those that don’t really know, what exactly is Project Fashion? Can you tell us some of the things the club does?

YP: Project Fashion is UConn’s first and only fashion club. We’re a community of students interested in all aspects of the fashion industry, whether it’s modeling, writing, or photography. We’re a diverse group that hopes to encourage others to embrace their own sense of style. Project Fashion is about to host it’s third annual fashion show, and has produced three lookbooks in addition to holding pop-up shops and outfit workshops. We’ve also worked as stylists for events such as Homecoming’s Lip Sync and Asian Nite.

Project Fashion’s Third Annual Fashion Show has teamed up with Spring Weekend once again this year and will be taking place in just a few days. What goes into planning a fashion show at UConn? What was the most difficult task?

YP: So much goes into planning a fashion show, I don’t even know where to start. It’s not just about getting the clothes and the models to wear the clothes. There’s a lot of planning and decision making as far as the theme, the layout of the room, the overall vibe of the show. It’s difficult to create something that’s a good representation of the people in your group and something that appeals to the rest of the UConn community.

What can the audience expect to see at the fashion show?

YP: Expect to see…a lot. Our fashion shows always include multiple segments, and with a theme like decades, the possibility of looks are endless. I think everyone will have a few favorites this year.

How have things changed since planning your first fashion show, now that this is the second fashion show you have planned?

YP: Planning has changed quite a bit since the first fashion show. It was a lot smaller our first year and we didn’t know what we were doing. Now that this is our third, we have a better idea of what we want and we’ve learned from our mistakes. Also, we have contacts with different offices and groups now, so it’s a bit easier to get things organized.

What has been your favorite memory while being a part of Project Fashion?

YP: My favorite memory with Project Fashion has to be last year’s fashion show. It was dramatically different from our first one and I remember feeling so proud. We had performers, a bigger space, and a much bigger audience in comparison to the first year. That was when I knew that Project Fashion was starting to make a name for itself.

How has being involved with Project Fashion impacted you?

YP: Project Fashion has had a great impact on me. Without being apart of such a group, leader or not, I don’t think I would be the same person I am today. We’ve all influenced each other and have helped each other branch out and try different things in the fashion world and otherwise.

What do you hope to see for the future of Project Fashion?

YP: I hope to see Project Fashion grow to be more prominent on campus. It would be great to see the group have more collaborations and workshops on campus, as well as hosting trips to events like Fashion Week in NYC.

What are your future plans after graduation?

YP: I’d to like to work for or even start my own online publication centered around fashion and music for young people of color. I want to give people like myself a safe outlet and community to talk about elements within the arts that interest them. A lot of people in our generation are obsessed with following the rules to get a job with a perfect salary, but I know that I won’t be happy unless I’m writing for an audience that I care about.

~

Make sure to come visit Her Campus UConn‘s table at Project Fashion’s Fashion Show this Thursday at the Student Union Ballroom from 8-10 PM! We will be tabling and giving away some awesome goodies! Follow our social media (FacebookTwitterInstagram) to stay updated! 

Gloria is the Marketing Co-Director for Her Campus UConn. She is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is a sucker for corny jokes, probably knows a little too much about celebrities, and is a big foodie.