Winter Makeup Tips and Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Check out these helpful makeup products for the winter. They really come in handy for the cold, holiday season.

1.  Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize

As the temperature drops, it can really take a toll on your skin. In order to keep hydrated, choose a moisturizer with vitamin E and lather your face every night to ensure that your skin will be vibrant in the morning. This is especially important during the winter months when your skin dries out fast. For the daytime, even though it is cold, the sun’s UV rays may still cause damage so be sure to choose a moisturizer with SPF. The moisture will keep your skin glowing and help avoid breakouts. In addition, if you continue your workout routine, your blood circulates more and maintains your natural and healthy glow. “Hope in a Jar” and Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer – SPF 15 are great recommendations for every day moisturizers. Lather up!

2.  Bronzer is your best friend

Do not forget this essential product when applying your makeup this winter. There are so many shades to choose from so no matter what your skin tone, there is a bronzer for you. Too Faced’s Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer is perfect for everyday use.  However, if you want something more shimmery or metallic for your cheekbones, try Snow Bunny Luminous Bronzer, also by Too Faced. Swipe the matte bronzer just under your cheekbones from the hollows of your cheeks to your apples, and dust some product where the sun naturally hits your face on your nose, chin and by your hairline. 

3.  Fabulously Festive

During the holidays, go for a glamorous look that will make your eyes pop. What better way to bring in the holiday cheer than sophisticated sparkles? Bobbi Brown Sparkle Eye Shadow is a must. A few exciting colors available are Mica, Silver Moon, Allspice, and Ballet Pink. Remember to use an eye shadow primer, and pat the sparkles on to decrease the amount of fallout onto your cheeks. This product has received great reviews and is known for being easy to use, long lasting, and crease free.

4.  Dare to be a Drama Queen

A smoky eye with winged eyeliner, and red lip is a flawless combination for winter weather and allows you to experiment a bit more. Dare to do a dramatic smoky cat eye or keep it classic with a thin liner and small wings. Urban Decay’s Naked Smoky Eye Palette is a must. It comes with so many different shadows that will last you a long time. Whichever look you take on, the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in “Dragon Girl” will pull everything together and give warmth to the frigid days. If red is not for you, play around and be bold with deep colors such as burgundy and plum. You can even get as dark as eggplant or black, which have also made appearances on the runway this season. 

5.  Natural and barely there

If you are one of those people who dread getting ready, you are in luck. This season, wearing minimal makeup seems to be trending on the runways. One product that is recommended is the Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette. Some shadows such as Heaven, Chocolate Martini, and Sexpresso will give your eye natural-looking dimension, which keeps it very simple and well put together. For your face, try the Too Faced Primed and Poreless Primer to avoid thick foundation. It is a light cream, however, it will still give your face a fresh and smoothed out look. Top it off with a light pink lipstick and a few strokes of mascara and you’re ready to go!  

If you have any other makeup tips you would like to share, post them to Instagram and tag @HerCampusUConnecticut!