etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I’m Not Sacrificing My Mental Health For a Good Grade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In the past, whenever I had a ton of assignments due in a short period of time, I would immediately feel overwhelmed. I contemplated the likelihood of completing all my work in the time allotted and it always seemed impossible and I often felt unbelievably defeated. I would think that there was no way I could possibly complete all my tasks in the given time, or that if I did, I would fail miserably. To say that my work load was responsible for my many mental breakdowns and sleepless nights, would be an understatement.

However, I soon realized I cannot control my work load, but I can control my mindset. Although it is easy to panic as assignments pile up and exams start approaching, try not to worry too much. We often put ourselves in these frenzies and drive ourselves crazy in pursuit of a good grade, but honestly, it is not worth it. All the stress and worrying is not worth something as simple as a grade. By saying this I do not mean the grade is not important, I am merely stating that your mental health is far more important than any grade will ever be. 

Do all you can to study for that exam or do that assignment, but then leave it be. Do not stress about it any further or allow it to take up any valuable room in your mind. All you can do is your best and know that is well enough. Be sure to relax and remind yourself that although you might feel stressed right now, soon it will pass and it is not something to fret over.

Honestly, the worst thing that can happen is that you fail, and even that would not be the end of the world. Failing does not define your character, it just shows that you’re human. Know that one grade will not deter you and that you always have the chance to improve. By mapping out the worst possible scenarios, you can understand that a grade, class, etc., is not something to drive yourself crazy about, so keep that in mind whenever you have your next mental breakdown. 

As college students, we often put too much pressure on ourselves to achieve, and it can get to be too much. When ambition starts to interfere with our mental health, that is when we should put our foot down. Our mental well-being should always come before any grade. It is far more important that we are happy and healthy, than what our grades are.

We should always work our hardest towards our goals and what we seek to accomplish, but all the while, we should know how much is too much. We never should push ourselves to the point of being too overwhelmed or stressed. The most important part is that we work and study in a healthy manner. Our goals should be realistic and things that can be attainable without driving ourselves crazy. Our grades are important, but not enough to define us or are in any way superior to our mental well-being. We should do all we can to get the grades we want, but in no way is it worth any added stress or pressure. As college students and young adults we have enough conflicts and stressors, so we do not need to be adding more, in any way, shape, or form. 

Cover Image Source