This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

April, a super exciting time in every collegiate’s life, especially here at UConn. Students everywhere are finally shedding layers, and once more there are Frisbees flying everywhere. But sadly, most of these finally gorgeous hours end up being spent in the library. Or in a depressingly dull classroom. As finals loom closer and the amount of projects and papers appear endless, it’s important to note that the end is near. It’s just the middle that might begin to stress us out. And by “begin”, I mean so stressed we can barely think, let alone get everything done. What’s a collegiate to do? Not only are we expected to pass our classes, but excel. And that’s not to mention, staying fit, attending meetings and participating in every club under the sun, and spending time with our friends. As if that’s not enough, showering and sleeping are kind of necessary. Are you stressed yet? Because I totally am.

Why am I bringing all of this up? April is National Stress Awareness Month, and something we should all seriously commit to. A normal amount of stress is healthy, but it’s never a bad thing to try and focus on relaxing. There are a ton of sites out there that mention habits and techniques that everyone can benefit from. Some of my favorite ones are:

1.     Writing a list of everything you need to get done, and then numbering them in order of most imperative to least. Yes, it looks scary, but how nice is it to actually have everything organized? Bonus! You get the satisfaction that comes from crossing things off.

2.     Exercise and sleep. Two things that can cause stress, as we attempt to balance our lives. What’s great about these is that they actually benefit mind and body. Plus, exercise with friends, and all of a sudden you’re multitasking! Don’t have time to head over to the gym or spend an hour at bodywise? “Even fitting in a quick jog has its benefits,” says HC contributor Cassidy Rodgers.

3.     Allow yourself little breaks throughout the day so that you don’t get burned out. If you don’t give yourself time to relax, you’ll be that much closer to a meltdown. 

4.     Yoga, meditation, relaxation: all very similar concepts, all with amazing benefits. The plus side of these is that you don’t have to do any of them for long. Even just 5 minutes of meditation will significantly improve your mood over time.

5.     Don’t have 5 minutes? Try practicing some deep breathing exercises. And yes, you can do these while finishing that Poly-Sci essay.

6.     Gum. Chewing gum can actually reduce cortisol levels, which then can decrease the amount of stress you feel.

7.     Take a shower! This simple act can relax some of the tension in your muscles, and who doesn’t think better AND feel better after a shower? (This handy tip was submitted by HC contributor, Sarah Levine)

Do you have any ideas? Comment below with some ways you deal with stress!

Sources:

http://greatist.com/happiness/23-scientifically-backed-ways-reduce-stres…