What Eminem Rapping About Trump Really Says About Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In 2017, we find ourselves listening to a vulgar rant about the President of the United States by none other than hip-hop star Eminem. So, what does this really say about us? Who knew that it would really be up to this man, of all people, to defend our rights and values?

Even Eminem himself pointed out the irony of his freestyle in the line, “Trump, when it comes to giving a shit, you’re as stingy as I am.” Clearly, he’s not usually one to speak on political issues, but I think we can say the same for a lot of people who have suddenly expressed a deep hatred towards Donald Trump.

Also, how desperate is this country to have to turn to a man who has some of the most horrendous and controversial rap lyrics out there? I mean, this guy has lyrics covered in themes of  violence against women and anti-gay slurs.

However, it’s not surprising that most of the things he says in the freestyle are resonating with people. Eminem went after Trump about everything from using taxpayer money on vacation to ignoring Puerto Rico and paying attention to kneeling football players instead.

Another reason why this rap is getting attention is that Eminem mentions his support for Colin Kaepernick and NFL players protesting during the anthem.

What I really found interesting is that he begins talking about Melania Trump, but then ends the line with “ahh i’ma stop,” which avoids talking about Trump’s behavior towards women. The pause in his lyrics  shows that he realizes he is a hypocrite in the treatment of women category.  

Instead of focusing on Trump’s history with women, he decides to speak to his own fans who happen to be Trump supporters-and this has to count for something.

At the end of the day, Eminem’s freestyle contains extremely powerful anti-Trump lyrics that everyone should hear. However, if this man in particular rapping about Donald Trump’s behaviors doesn’t scream that we are desperate, then I don’t know what does.

You can watch his whole freestyle here:

Cover Image Source