The Unicorn Trend Must Be Stopped

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

To preface, I’m not usually a hater, and when it comes to fads and trends, I can usually give it the benefit of the doubt even if I don’t want to partake. But when Starbucks released their newest limited edition drink, the Unicorn Frappuccino, that was the last straw. I had to be vocal, and here I am to say that the unicorn trend needs to end.

Maybe I’m bitter. Growing up I had all the huge, glossy mythology books about different mythical creatures which I spent many hours pouring over the pages of with my friends. So it’s not that I don’t like the idea of unicorns per se, but there is a chance I’m against this trend because all of a sudden it’s fine and good to like unicorns now that Margot Robbie wore one on the red carpet. Fake fans.

But maybe I’m not bitter. Maybe I truly am the only one to see how CRAZY it all is. Hair tutorials to teach how to create a horn? Makeup tutorials telling me to over-highlight and basically submerge myself in glitter to create the true ethereal unicorn look?

Well, as Ariana Grande would say, “not today Satan.” I mean truly, is this what the unicorns would have wanted? To douse our foods in sugar and rainbow dye? To cover every inch of our nails in silver and gold rhinestones? I think not.

But hey, I get it. You want to have some fun, you want to your ‘Grams to be aesthetically pleasing. But just think about all the time you could save by not scouring the grocery store aisles for the most colorful toppings for your unicorn toast, or waiting for the barista to add all the pumps and swirls of flavors to your Frappuccino. Instead of having to cut your Netflix bingeing short to craft your unicorn themed hair, you could finish the season. Priorities people. It’s time we sent this trend back into the fantastical realm from which it came.

Cover Image Source