UConn Students Answer: Why Do You Go To UConn?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The University of Connecticut is a second home from August until May, for some it may be even longer. UConn is a community and there is a certain love we all have for this school. We asked students why they go to UConn, and here is what they said.

“I love going to such a big school where there’s always something going on- no matter what you want to do, there’s always someone who wants to do it with you! Plus, having really awesome basketball teams doesn’t hurt either.” – Sarah L., Class of 2016

“I chose to go to UConn because it was close to home, but it has since become my home and I wouldn’t have it any other way.” -Nikki H., Class of 2017

“In state tuition.” -Brendan H., Class of 2017

“I feel like I can be myself at UConn. There’s so many different things to get involved in, so I can do what I love to do and be surrounded by others who share the same interests.” -Caitlin S., Class of 2018

“Because we’re the basketball capital of the world.” -Mackenzie D., Class of 2019

“I came to UConn because I’m really into sports and I think it’s a great way to bring people together. We’re a better university because the athletics here really create a community who stands together.” -John T., Class of 2018

“Free scoop of ice cream at the tour.” -Nomi V., Class of 2016

“Because I’m from Connecticut and ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a UConn Husky especially since my family members are huge UConn supporters.” -Rich B., -Class of 2019

“I had my classmates vote on which school I should go to.” -Kylie B., Class of 2017

“Scholarship, It was far away from home, loved the culture, and the majors I’m in.” -Katherine K., Class of 2017

“They put out light refreshments before the prospective student info session/tour.” -Arianna D., Class of 2017

“UConn is well known for its veteran community and I originally wanted to come for the awesome music education program. HDFS and many other programs are just as good though.” -Craig A., Alum

“Free t-shirts.” -Brian S., Class of 2017

“Do you really have to ask?” -Nathaniel D., Class of 2016

“I love UConn because it’s a big school but still small enough to create a sense of community. There’s so much to be involved in that anyone can find something they’re interested in. Also, our mascot is wicked cute.” -Kasey S., Class of 2018

“I have been a fan my whole life. My dad went here and it’s close to home.” Ethan P., Class of 2019

“Free tuition (insert statistics on success of pre-dental students and dental school).” -Louis G., Class of 2018

“I chose UConn because it was the best place for me to get the full college experience in a community that will support me in pursuing my goals.” -Najee F., Class of 2019

“Would look better for grad school because I transferred from Western and it was the best I could afford (and barely can…).” -Cody H., Class of 2017

“Because I love Susan.” -Robert V., Class of 2017

“I came to UConn because Husky Nation.” -Corrinne B., Class of 2019

“I go to UConn because of the amazing athletic training program.” -Charlotte S., Class of 2019

“I came to UConn because of their high percentage of getting students into vet school.” -Rachele S., Class of 2019

“Best bang for your buck considering in state tuition and quality of education.” -Rafay I., Class of 2017

“I’m from MA so out of state tuition, but I got a scholarship, the chemical engineering school was good, I met a few of the professors at an open house and liked them, and I loved the campus.” -Nick D., Class of 2016

“I went to UConn because I knew the school was open and caring towards those with gender identity issues. Physically, I’m a man but if I wanted to identity as a woman or anything else they’d let me! So awesome.” -John S., Class of 2014

Whatever the reason may be, we’re all proud to be Huskies.

Why did you choose to go to UConn? Tweet us your responses ​@UConnHC!

Cover Image Credit