person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Tips to Achieving the Perfect Instagram Photo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Instagram has become one of the most popular social media platforms to post a photo on. Which makes choosing a filter one of the harder decisions we make through out the day. Do I go with Lo-Fi or Mayfair? Those are the two I am always stuck between. Here are some tips to achieving the perfect Instagram photo to post.

Ever wonder how people get the white bars vertically or horizontally on their Instagram photos? Your answer is finally here. There are many apps to achieve this look. I highly recommend downloading the Whitagram app. Whitagram allows you to do this. Using the white bars allows for the entire photo to be captured instead of the zoomed cropping that happens when you put a normal or unedited photo up.

Sometimes a filter is not even necessary. By just adjusting the warmth, contrast and brightness of your photo when it is in your camera roll, you can achieve a great outcome. Here’s an example of what adjusting warmth, contrast, and brightness looks like:

For sunsets you don’t even need a filter! #NoFilter. Here’s an example with no filter at all:

Sometimes the simplicity of a photo with the whitagram bars works well too:

The Chrome filter that comes with your iPhone when you click Edit does wonders:

You can never go wrong with the Transfer filter that comes with your iPhone either:

Black and white filters are always great, and can really bring out your beauty. Willow and inkwell are the black and white filters that Instagram offers. Check out how beautiful my friend looks in a black and white filter with her freckles:

Girls, we are all beautiful just the way we are! So there is no need to use any alternative apps to make us look skinner or whiten our teeth. Embrace your natural beauty and throw a filter on it.

Follow Her Campus’ Instagram account: @hercampusconnecticut

Social Media Director for Her Campus UConn. I am a Communication major and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor at the University of Connecticut. Currently a PR Assitant for Mintz + Hoke.