These leggings could help you burn calories just by wearing them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Living a healthy lifestyle is a goal for many, but sometimes being a busy college student doesn’t make it an easy thing to do. Sweetflexx, created by McCullough Shriver who is assisted by two fellow UConn students, Kyle Maglio and Patrick Meucci, is an innovative new legging that aims to builds muscle with every step. 

This idea surfaced when owner, Shriver, graduated from college and entered the real world.

“I was frustrated by the sudden lack of time, and I wasn’t willing to give up my eating habits because I couldn’t make it to the gym everyday,” he said. But he knew he was not alone. As college students, this is super relatable – it’s hard to not pick the grab ‘n go over some fruit you have left in your dorm (that you stole from the dining hall).

Sweetflexx may be the cure to getting in exercise throughout the day.  This is how it works: “By stretching [resistance] bands over a group of muscles, we force the opposing muscles to work harder when they move,” Shriver explained. What this means is that by the end of your busy day walking to and from class you have actually given your legs a substantial workout. 

Courtesy of McCullough Shriver

This small idea turned into a big reality. A year of Shriver’s time was spent seeking a company who wanted to take a risk on the product and individuals who wanted to assist him in the journey. Maglio became the first intern on board, with Meucci joining shortly after.

When asked what the next step for Sweetflexx was, intern Maglio replied with an eager, “well we’re not quitting!” Both he and Meucci work extensively marketing for Sweetflexx, connecting with sororities here at UConn, gyms, and middle-aged women to expand their product through word-of-mouth. What they called this was “organically growing the brand through an ambassador program.”

Left: Shriver Right: Maglio

Courtesy of Patrick Meucci

Maglio and Meucci had some words of advice for young entrepreneurs at UConn trying to accomplish their own goals.

“You have to be able to adjust your methods,” said Meucci, “and be able to look at it from the consumers’ perspective and what they might want.” Maglio added that it’s a long road, “if you’re determined enough you’ll be able to stick through it and come out on top. Shock the world.”

Currently, the leggings are available for sale on the Sweetflexx website and are priced at $98.

To learn more about Sweetflexx, you can also follow them on social media:

Instagram: @sweetflexx

Twitter: @sweetflexx

Facebook: Sweetflexx, Wear Your Gym