The Struggles of Living in Celeron

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Celeron Square Apartments is one of the main hubs of UConn parties and they are definitely one of the most popular choices when it comes to choosing off-campus housing. However, living in Celeron is not always all fun and games. Here are some the struggles that everyone who lives or has lived here can relate to:

Dirt Roads = Dirty Cars

The unpaved roads and dirt parking lots result in eternally dirty cars. There’s no point in even washing it or taking it to the car wash because having a thick layer of dirt on your car is inenvitable.

Paying for laundry

I bet you never thought you’d miss the laundry version of ‘The Hunger Games’ that happened in every UConn dorm building. It was a cut-throat battle for the open washer and you always had to worry about people throwing your clothes on the floor. But between having to walk all the way to the first building of Celeron AND having to scrounge for quarters for the machines, you would probably volunteer as tribute any day to avoid paying for laundry in Celeron.

Furnishing your own place

Furnishing an entire apartment is hard. There are so many things you have to buy that you almost forget to buy the essentials.  Who knew tin foil, salt and pepper, light bulbs, oven cleaner, etc. could get expensive so quickly? Suddenly you find yourself torn between buying the really cute tapestry you want and the needed coffee table that you’ll probably never use after graduation.

Paying for cable and electricity

These amenities were taken for granted when you lived in a dorm. You probably never cared about turning off the TV when you left or making sure your desk lamp was off. But now? Oh boy do you notice. You and your roommates are constantly paranoid about unnecessary things being on or plugged in now that you are responsible not only for rent, but also for cable and electricity.

Random freshmen roaming around on the weekends

As upperclassmen living in Celeron, this.is.the.worst. Think you’re going to meet other fellow Celeron residents while you’re walking to your friend’s apartment on a Saturday night? Nope. You’re just going to run into random drunk freshmen desperately looking for a party because cops are blocking off Carriage.

Friends can’t visit without a parking pass

In order to have any non-UConn student visitors for the weekend, you need to acquire a parking pass by the Wednesday before. It’s annoying that you either have to plan your weekend way in advance or you have to make your friends park at Ted’s for the weekend.

Although your car is always dirty and you have to pay for laundry, you have zero regrets about choosing to live in Celeron. You love the homey atmosphere of your apartment, you love living near your closest friends, and you would recommend Celeron to anyone. 

Thumbnail Image Source