Spray Tans and Self-Tanners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We have just 7 weeks until summer and I don’t know about you, but I am already getting started on my summer tan. I am not going to let a little snow in March stop me from being bronzed and neither should you.  Spring Break 2015 is now officially over and a great way to keep that Cancun, sun kissed skin is to get a spray tan!  Traditional tanning beds with direct UV light exposure can be detrimental to your health and I highly suggest staying far away from them.  Sunless spray tans provide a safer and healthier alternative to traditional tanning methods.  One of the many benefits of a spray tan is, they are instant and long lasting.  Spray tans will give you a beautiful bronzed look in just minutes!

Tommy’s Tanning has many locations in Connecticut, and one location is conveniently located near UConn on Storrs Road, in the same plaza as Starbucks.  Who couldn’t use a beautiful tan and a venti latte?  VersaSpa is Tommy’s sunless tanning system that will give you instant color with zero exposure to UV lights. Before you think you will leave looking like an oompa loompa, I can assure you that VersaSpa will do no such thing.  Spray tan technology has improved tremendously over the years and you will leave looking like you just spent the week on a tropical island. 

For most people, Spring Break 2015 wasn’t all sand, sunny beaches and happy hour.  I know the closest I got to Cancun and Panama City was through Snapchat and Instagram. For those of us that do not want people knowing our Spring Break was a mix between a House of Cards marathon and playing with our dogs, a quick trip to Tommy’s Tanning will give our skin a sun kissed glow as if we went to the Sunshine State!

If you want to start out slow and not jump into getting a VersaSpa spray tan there are many Self Tanner options that you can try first!

Top 5 Self-Tanners

St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse

St. Tropez will give you an even, streak-free, natural-looking tan that dries in seconds.  The applicator provided makes the bronzing mousse easy-to-apply and the color is long lasting.  The product takes 4-6 hours to develop and the longer you wait to shower the darker your tan will be.  St. Tropez is perfect for the weekend, a special occasion or if you just want to be bronzed on the daily.  St. Tropez can be purchased at Sephora, Ulta and various other locations.  This product comes in 3 different sizes and price varies from $18-$42 depending what size you purchase.

Xen-Tan Dark, Deep Bronze Luxe

Xen-Tan Dark, Deep Bronze Luxe has an olive undertone that will give a more natural result.  Many think a self-tanner will leave you with orange skin but with an olive tone to the lotion it will give you a more natural bronzed look.  After applying this product you will have a sheer tan immediately.  In three hours, your tan will deepen into a medium/dark self-tan that lasts up to seven days.  Xen-Tan can be found at Sephora, Ulta and various other locations for $40.

Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel

Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel is perfect for those who wish to maintain a year-round tanned appearance.  This product is lightweight, non-oily and will blend easily over skin.  It will give you a natural, golden tan for your face and body.  When applied the gel is instantly absorbed and will give you results in just two hours. Clarins Instant Gel can be found at Sephora for $37.

Tarte Brazilliance Skin Rejuvinating Maracuja Face and Body Self-Tanner

This Tarte face and body self-tanner will not only give your skin a healthy glow but it will also drench your skin in moisture.  This product comes equipped with an applicator mitt which makes this gel easy-to-apply and will also give you an even bronzed glow.  With this product, your skin will feel and look firmer, brighter and smoother soaking in all the benefits of the maracuja oil.  Tarte Brazilliance Skin Rejuvenating Maracuja Face and Body Self-Tanner can be found on the Ulta website for $39.  Along with the self-tanner, Ulta is giving away a free gift with purchase, the gift is a FREE deluxe Brazilliance Face Towelette and deluxe Lipsurgence Lip Gloss in Flush!

Kardashian Sun Kissed Instant Sunless Lotion

Who wouldn’t love a product that the Kardashian Sisters developed and use themselves?  This self-tanner lotion is a streak-free firming lotion enhanced with vitamins C and E.  Not only will you have a sun kissed glow but the lotion formula also has a firming complex, and the natural sugars help prevent streaking.  For the best results, exfoliate the skin before applying the lotion all over the body in circular motions.  The product will dry in less than a minute and to allow the color to develop fully, wait at lease four hours before bathing.  Kardashian Sun Kissed Instand Sunless Lotion can be found at Ulta for just $19.99.

Ari is a self admitted fashion-aholic with an insatiable appetite for handbags and beauty products - not necessarily in that order.  When she is not bingeing on Netflix, daydreaming about Louboutins or scouring the Internet for "up to the minute" entertainment news, she can be found at the nearby Sephora offering advice on the latest and greatest must-haves - and NO - she does not work there.