Snoozing Through School: How to Change Your Sleep During the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We all do it: an all-nighter one night, then sleeping in the next day after that cringe-worthy 8 am biology exam or paper is submitted. Feeling refreshed is nearly impossible come midterm season.

What better way to better our sleep than by celebrating Sleep Awareness Month?

Here are 10 tips tailored to collegiettes to help you get some shuteye from Sleep.org and the National Sleep Foundation:

1. Do you eat dinner late or tend to midnight snack? Think twice before consuming large meals before bed, especially ones with spice or chocolate. The Sleep Foundation offers a solution, “try a light snack 45 minutes before bed if you’re still hungry”.

2. Try to go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning.

3. Help regulate your circadian rhythm, or your body’s natural clock, by giving yourself some light in the morning. Does your roomie sleep in while you’re an early bird? Instead of flicking on the light, head to the dining hall to soak up some sun before starting your day. You may be able to sleep better at night.

4. Winding down with relaxing activities instead of frantically finishing work before bed improves your sleep hygiene. Don’t scroll on Tumblr in bed either!

5. On that note, your bed is for sleeping, not homework or browsing HerCampus.com (guilty!). Set your alarm before bed and stay away from the iPhone light as you’re heading to sleep.

6. According to Sleep.org, the best time to nap is around 2pm or 3pm for about 30 minutes. Naps can improve your mood and help recharge you for your evening classes or meetings.

7. Fix your sleep debt, or hours lost to sleep deprivation, by hitting the hay 15 minutes earlier per night. Many collegiettes try to sleep in on the weekends to combat hours lost during the week, but this may only work if you’re losing 1-2 hours per week, says Sleep.org.

8. If your dorm lets you control your temperature, Sleep.org suggests to keep your room between 60 and 67 degrees, which will disturb your sleep less.

9. Do you tend to grab an iced coffee mid-day? Your sleep may be disrupted by caffeine so try to avoid tea, coffee or energy drinks six hours before bed.

10. Seek a doctor if your sleep pattern is not working for you! It is important to have sleep that is refreshing, and seeking medical help may be most helpful.