Save the Internet: What You Need to Know About Net Neutrality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Imagine you’re stuck in rush hour traffic, and the only way to get out of it is to pay a large fee for an exclusive HOV lane. If that isn’t bad enough, imagine that for each exit you want to get off at, you have to pay a fine. This is the analogy my professor gave in class last week when discussing net neutrality, which I’m embarrassed to admit is the first time I heard about this concept.

Right now, we all have open access to whatever websites our hearts desire. This freedom was solidified in 2015 with the net neutrality ruling that internet providers like Comcast and Verizon couldn’t charge you based on what you’re looking at online. However, the new Trump elected president of the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) is currently trying to override that ruling and allow these large internet providers to monitor and control what we view online.

If the death of net neutrality actually happens, it could play out in a few different ways. One theory is that these companies will start to create bundle packages to charge customers. Similar to the current cable packages where you pay for premium channels, the companies could charge for access to social media, news outlets, search engines, online shopping sites and the list goes on.

If the FCC votes to end net neutrality, the world as we know it will change. That sounds dramatic, but it is true. Here at UConn, where technology and education are one in the same, it would be impossible to continue to hold a flat expectation that all students could access online resources. HuskyCT, online homework websites like Connect and online textbooks might not be accessible to all students based on their internet package. Academic institutions across the country would have to reevaluate their education and backtrack from all the progress made with technology over the past few decades.

The revoking of net neutrality also threatens to further divide this country based on socio-economic status. School districts in impoverished areas that are already struggling with funding will be set back if their students and teachers cannot access the same resources as students in wealthier areas where their schools and families can afford the unlimited package.

The end of net neutrality could be the fall of Amazon. If you need to pay for to access Amazon, and then additionally pay for a prime membership or shipping, it might be worth it to get off the couch and go to the mall. Some people might pay extra for the convenience factor, but many people who are living paycheck to paycheck that normally use Amazon might think twice. This could result in an unpredictable massive shift of our economy and stock market.

Our access to news will also be filtered, which is the scariest part. If the executive board of an internet provider agrees that they don’t want to allow access to a certain type of website, they can shut it down without any resistance. No matter how much you pay, you might not have the ability to access certain sites. This threatens the progress of activist groups who use the internet for visibility, and this threatens our freedom to a network of free flowing ideas and information.

On December 14th, the FCC will vote on the status of net neutrality. Not enough Americans are aware of this issue that threatens to change our access to the internet and technology. Spread the word, file an online express complaint with the FCC, or sign the petition. This vote is just days away, and you don’t want to regret making your voice known when you need to shell out an extra $5 a month to binge watch your favorite Netflix shows.

Cover Image Source