Real Stories of Random Acts of Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We hear about so much hate on the news every day that it isn’t hard to begin feeling like the world is a pretty dark place.  But these real recounts of random acts of kindness prove that there actually are still several good people out there.  When someone performs a random act of kindness, they not only make one person’s day better, but everyone else’s who witnessed the act, too.  Nothing makes us happier than seeing people go out of their way to be nice just for the sake of being nice.  Read on to have your faith in humanity restored.

“I was at [Insomnia Cookies] and I didn’t have any cash and only my card on me.  I wanted a cookie and they told me I needed a $3 minimum purchase but I didn’t want to get 2 to 3 cookies because I had to run to the bus.  The lady in front of me told me that she’d cover it and I felt so bad, but it was so nice.” –Sam J.  

“I always appreciate it when the bus driver doesn’t see someone running and someone on the bus yells for them to hold up to let the person on.” –Nikki H.  

“I was next in line for my road test when my car battery died.  I got super sad, and the guy behind me literally let me use his car for my road test… LIKE, WHAT?! BLESS THAT MAN.” –Ashna G.

“This morning, it was pouring out and when I got on the bus, there were no available seats.  I was struggling a bit to hold onto one of the bars while also holding my umbrella and this guy stood up and offered me his seat.  It was so nice.” –Maggie L.

“Oriental gave me free rice one time before winter break because I wasn’t sure it was offered and they left a little note and everything wishing me a happy break.” –Nikki H.

“Every Friday, my dance teacher from back home buys the person(s) behind her in the drive-thru coffee.” –Emily W.

“I was walking into NextGen today and this random guy offered me and the rest of my friends free pizza.” –Alexis A.

“Last Fourth of July, my family went to the local beach at the pond near us and watched the fireworks, and there was this Puerto Rican family by us.  The mom came up to introduce herself and offered to share her beer and food with us and told us how much she loves this beautiful country and the opportunities.  It just makes me happy when other people are so excited and joyful about something they are thankful for, and they want to spread that joy with others.” –Ella L.

“When I came back from spring break with all my stuff, the campus bus wasn’t coming.  I started walking, and someone offered me a ride up to Charter Oak.  I kept saying thank you the whole ride up.” –Keyanna L

“My mom will pay for veterans’ meals if we are out at dinner (like, if she sees them wearing their baseball hats that say “veteran”). –Emily W.

“One time when I was at the vet, there was a lady in front of me.  I didn’t hear what the guy in front of her said, but I guess he had trouble paying the bill, so when she got to the counter she paid her bill and covered his and it was the nicest thing I’ve ever seen.” –Lizzie D.

“I was in South one time and this younger looking couple was about to pay for their way into the dining hall when someone behind them offered to just swipe them in!  It really warmed my heart.” –Alexis A.

“I’m always appreciative of stores that don’t care about change and just let you pay the (typically lower) rounded dollar amount.” –Nikki H.

“One time, I was last in line at the Union Dunkin’ to get my coffee (because coffee is worth being late), and a girl came out with two coffees and said that they messed up and gave her two and asked if I wanted her second one and it was my exact order.  I was so appreciative.” –Emily W.

“When I was younger, my dad had a friend over and I was sledding outside on a tube.  It kept deflating so I came over to my dad to complain about it and the next day this guy came back with 5 snow tubes (one for each of my siblings and I).  And I know he wasn’t very wealthy because he was basically living in someone’s shed at the time so that was really really nice of him and I remember it even though it was over 10 years ago.” –Anonymous  

“Yesterday when I was on the bus, a kid got off and left his phone on the seat.  The bus started moving, but a girl who had just gotten on yelled at the bus driver to stop saying, “Wait!  Someone left their phone!  I have to get it back to them!”  The bus let her off and she literally ran to give it back and ran back to the bus”-Maggie L.

“I needed to take a subway in NYC and all the Metrocard machines were “cash only.”  Lucky me, I had no cash on me.  I was lugging around heavy bags and just decided to screw it & take a cab.  I tell the driver that I only need to go like 4 blocks and he’s like “you know a subway is cheaper, right?”  I explain my awkward no-cash dilemma and he rummages through his car for subway fare.  He insisted I take the money when I said no and it was just so crazy/sweet.” –Ashna G  

“I love the sticky notes they put up around Finals.” —Nikki H   

“When I was like in second grade, my dad lost his job. We weren’t doing well financially and it was around Christmas time.  My parents weren’t going to be able to get me (and my 3 siblings) much.  So probably 3 days before Christmas there were two bags full of toys “from Santa” on the porch.” –Anonymous “One time I was struggling to open the doors at The Oaks because they weigh a thousand pounds and a guy ran over to help me.” Hayley B  

“One time I was out to breakfast with my dad and my three sisters and my dad saw a guy he knew from a long time ago.  After we were done with breakfast we found out that the guy paid for our meal and it was probably not cheap.” –Lizzie D  

“Some girl in the Student Activities Office gave me a Krispy Kream donut.” –Nikki H  

“So over winter break, several houses in my neighborhood were broken into.  Now while I couldn’t give “something” to each of the families, there was this particular family that lived across the street from mine that has three little girls (ages 3, 6 and 8).  My brother and I decided to get them Christmas gifts.  I know it doesn’t make up for all they lost, but I couldn’t bare the thought of those girls waking up on Christmas morning wondering why they did not receive any Christmas gifts.” –Anonymous

Shout out to everyone who has taken a few moments out of their day to do something nice for someone else just because.  People like you make this world a better place.  And your efforts do not go unappreciated!  Big or small, they are often still bringing smiles to people’s faces years into the future.

Cover Image Source