An Open Letter to EVERYONE about Puerto Rico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

To everyone on the island,

You are strong, you are loved, and you will survive. Be smart and safe. Please remember that people care, even if Donald Trump does not.

To all my fellow Puerto Ricans: on the island and in the United States,

The island will revive and become a better island than it ever was. I have never been to Puerto Rico despite being 100% Puerto Rican, but I know it hurts to see everyone you love hurting and not being able to help them in the way you would like. I see so many Facebook posts sharing the condition of the island, and I can not even bare to watch the videos or look at the pictures. But seeing the various donations round-up in just Connecticut gives me hope and I hope you haven’t lost yours.

To Donald Trump,

I do not have much to say to you. I wish I would say I was surprised by your actions, but I am not. Do better.

San Juan Mayor Yulin Cruz > You.

To Yulin Cruz,

Thank you for all your hard work. It has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated. You deserve much more credit than you are receiving.

San Juan Mayor Yulin Cruz making a statement after Trump called her “nasty.”

To those at my job who decided to run their mouths right in front of me,

I had to walk away, I just had to (because I was working.) Education is key, do your research. I do not think I will ever forget what you guys said. “Puerto Ricans CHOOSE to live on an island, they should expect things like THIS.” A hurricane like Maria has not hit Puerto Rico in years.  As a matter of fact, the last Category 5 hurricane to hit Puerto Rico was the San Felipe Segundo hurricane in 1928, almost 90 years.

To those who have been helping,

Whether you have been volunteering or donating, thank you. Please keep doing what you are doing. 

To those who want to help,

PLEASE DO NOT DONATE TO THE RED CROSS. There is too much controversy around the Red Cross. If you would like to donate, please donate to the local organizations in the picture below.

Cover Image Credit