“With HOT weather comes HOT dates,” UConnPirg Charity Date Auction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

UConnPirg, an organization that has been on campus for over thirty years, is consistently working at creating a better world by listening to the students in our community. Focused on “real social issues,” they are active in voicing their ideas for changing the world on a national level. 

This past Thursday, the organization held a charity date auction to benefit hunger and homelessness, and donated the proceeds to Holy Family in Willimantic, CT. Holy Family provides shelter and food for those who need it, along with resources to improve their situation and to create a better life.

Twenty UConn students volunteered to be auctioned off to members in the audience for a date. The volunteers included athletes, international students, fraternity members, and UConnPirg members. Everyone was dressed formally and as they were presented to the auctioneers, a brief profile about them was announced.

Alessia Assisi, UConn Residence Hall Association

Amida Brimah, UConn Men’s Basketball

Tim Boyle, UConn Football

Alessia Assisi and Corey Byck

As the audience debated and bid amongst themselves, they were provided with refreshments and entertainment from the comical emcee. The North Reading Room in Wilbur Cross, where the event was held, was decorated with balloons and the tables looked romantic and formal with tablecloths and candlelit centerpieces.

Leonard Brukman, Emcee

Addy Ladoja, UConnPirg member

Floating candle and mason jar centerpieces, too cute!

This event was entirely dedicated to helping those in need, and providing a better life and world for everyone to live in. The energy at the auction was light and happy, as there was a lot of laughter and everyone in the room had a full heart knowing they were helping out a great organization make a change for those in need. In total, UConnPirg raised $578.50 to donate to Holy Family. We hope to see another auction next year!

Check out the organizations here: 

UConnPirg: http://www.connpirgstudents.org/storrs

Holy Family: Holy Family Home and Shelter, Inc.

Oriana is a student at the University of Connecticut, with a double major in Communication and Spanish. She enjoys reading, traveling, espresso, and Vogue magazine.