toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Get The Look: Adele in the “Hello” Music Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

On October 22nd, something amazing happened. The queen of music (and of our hearts), Adele, released the video for the first single “Hello” off of her new album 25 (out November 20th).

The gorgeous music video for “Hello” is a sepia-toned wonderland of heartbreak, but the best part is seeing Adele’s fantastic new look throughout (that HAIR, those NAILS!).

So here is a breakdown, from one obsessed fan to another, of how to achieve Adele’s “Hello” music video look from head to toe.This look could work as a halloween costume, or even toned down for every day when you are feeling the need to channel your inner diva.

THE OUTFIT

The Coats

Adele’s two coats are the major pieces of her look in this music video. The first one that she wears is a mid-length plaid coat in a dark color (likely deep green, or black). It probably won’t be hard to find a variation of this coat in stores since sweater weather is officially upon us.  It is definitely a good investment to make, as us New Englanders can never really have too many coats (thanks Storrs winters!).

Adele’s other coat is also a longer one and it’s made of a fuzzy sweater-like material. This coat is a bit more fun than the plaid, though admittedly a bit harder to find. If you do happen upon one of these jackets however, snatch one up as they are both super stylish and super warm: the ultimate winter combo.

The Boots

Adele wears a fantastic pair of tall, high-heeled, black boots in this video, which can be seen in their full glory in her first few shots in the video. Much like the coats, these boots would be a great investment to make as they are practical for everyday wear in the fall season, particularly because of their neutral color.

The Scarf

Adele wears a funky, black and white patterned scarf in the video, which is especially visible during the scenes where she is outside and wearing the shearling coat. Since there are so many variations of black and white scarves out there, you will definitely be able to find an inexpensive version of this piece that will look great not only with this outfit, but with many others as well

Under The Coat(s) 

It’s hard to tell exactly what Adele is wearing under either of her long coats throughout the video, but it is a safe bet to say that going with a little black dress would work well for this look.

THE ACCESSORIES

The Sunglasses 

Adele is wearing some killer shades in this video. It looks like the pair she’s wearing has a slight cat eye shape and have very dark black lenses. Glasses like these shouldn’t be too hard to find, and you can go high end if you are planning on wearing the glasses regularly.  If not, retailers like Forever 21 carry inexpensive options that work perfectly for this look.

The Nails

Adele’s nails are a big part of her overall look, so if you’re planning on going as her for Halloween, don’t skip this step. Her nails are long, painted a glossy black and pointed at the ends. You can easily achieve this look with fake press on nails that you can order from multiple places online.

However, if you want to rock a manicure like hers everyday, look into acrylics that you can wear for weeks at a time. They can be a bit pricey and generally difficult, but if you are a serious fan of Adele’s look, the end result could be totally worth the minor inconveniences.

The Phone

Now, if you’re planning on recreating this look as a costume, the flip phone is a must have. There’s probably a good chance that you or someone you know has an old flip phone lying around, but if not, you can buy toy ones online that will do the trick. You could also carry a phone that has a cord around with you all night to channel the more glamourous phone calls that Adele takes throughout the video.  However, be warned that it may become a bit bulky to carry from place to place.

THE MAKEUP

The Eyes

The first thing that you notice immediately about Adele’s killer makeup look is her winged eyeliner. In order to create this, you will need a deep black liquid eyeliner. Create an extremely thin wing for this look, as it is pronounced but not thick.  A great liquid eyeliner brand, that is not expensive, has an ultrafine applicator brush and also does not test on animals is Milani, which you can buy at your local CVS for under $10.

P.S. For the complete makeup look, you’ll also want to make sure that your eyebrows are strong and clearly defined if they aren’t already.

Now, it’s hard to tell, due to the sepia-tone of the video, but it appears that Adele is wearing a light brown or taupe shade of eyeshadow for her smokey-eye look.  One easy way to create this look (which I have yet to do right…ever) is to use an eyeshadow palette that does all the hard work for you.

Almay makes a great (and cheap) version of this, where they give you three colors and tell you exactly where to apply them to create the perfect smokey look. This palette is great for someone who is creating a smokey eye on rare occasions, or only for this look, and you can buy it at your local drugstore.

If you feel like being slightly more adventurous with your makeup, try the Urban Decay Naked Smoky palette for a deeper look that you can get a bit more creative with due to the amount of colors that they give you. Be warned, this palette is pricey ($54) but it is high quality, and if you plan on using it daily, it pays for itself in no time.

The Lips

For Adele’s lip color, which is a bit hard to determine due to the color-tone of the video, it is a safe bet that she is wearing a matte lipstick. Now this color would be different based on your unique skin tone, but a good way to recreate her look would be to find a lip color that doesn’t add any specific tone to your lips, but rather intensifies their original color.

THE HAIR

Adele’s hair in this video is unbelievably on point. From the rich color, to the layered cut that gives off serious Hollywood-old-school-glamour vibes while somehow remaining modern, her look is effortless.

Here is a video that shows you how to achieve the look.  Though Adele’s hair is indeed gorgeous, if you’re rocking this ensemble for Halloween only, you will still be recognizable as Adele with all the clothing and makeup, no matter what hairstyle you already have.

Have fun rocking this outfit either as a fierce costume on Halloween or to perfect your fall and winter look around campus! Either way, Adele would be proud. 

Olivia is a Journalism and English double major who spends entirely too much time watching Netflix and is not even sorry about it. She loves to sing, write feminist musings, hang out with her pets and fantasize about a world in which everything tastes like Nutella. In another life she is best friends with Veronica Mars and married to Logan Echolls (and they're both totally cool with it).