Forget Nickel, Spend Your Thursday at Lunafest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

From films like Get Out, Black Panther, and A Wrinkle in Time, it’s becoming clear that white men no longer hold the Hollywood reigns.  If this is a reckoning that you are excited about (*ahem* it should be a reckoning that everybody is excited about) you should be attending Lunafest.  

Lunafest is a film festival sponsored by the company that makes Luna Bars- a power bar specifically for women.  They sponsor different organizations, one of which being the UConn Women’s Center, to hold film festivals across the country that showcase independent, women-made films.  The Women’s Center has been holding Lunafest on campus for a few years now, and this year’s event will take place tonight at 5:00 p.m. in Oak Hall, room 101.  

The feminine reclaiming of media is one of the most important pieces of the feminist movement in our time.  Women-directed films have more dynamic female characters, more accurately represent the struggles women face and are far less likely to over sexualize– and therefore diminish– the experience of womanhood.  If you’re a woman, you can imagine that you’re more likely to enjoy and relate to a film that was directed by someone who is not only like you, but is willing to invest in characters and plot lines that represent you. In all fields, media and beyond, it is imperative that everyone makes an effort to support trailblazing women who are making the world a more relatable, tolerant and inclusive place.  

Tonight, you have the chance to watch several independent short films directed by women.  To check out the lineup of female directors and their projects, check out their website.  

If good movies, popcorn and prizes (!!) aren’t enough to sway you, all of the proceeds go to important causes.  The first of which is the UConn Women’s Center.  Your ticket will help them continue to put on important programs like the Violence Against Women Prevention Program, Smart Start Salary Negotiation for Women, inspiring speakers and many others.  The other portion of the proceeds will go to Chicken & Egg pictures, which is a philanthropy supporting women filmmakers.  Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for non-students.  

Planning on attending Lunafest? Make sure you tell us all about it @UConnHC!

Cover Image Provided by Stephanie Goebel of the UConn Women’s Center