It’s autumn again, and you know what that means! Break out the cozy sweaters, put away the jean shorts, and get ready for one of the most enjoyable holidays of the year: Halloween. Now, if you’ve just started college like I have, you might not be quite sure as to how to handle Halloween. And even if you’re an old pro at this dorm life, it can’t hurt to pick up a couple new ideas. Halloween is the best holiday because it inspires creativity, and I hope to convey some of my favorite ideas to you.
My rules for decorating:
1. Start by deciding where you want to put things, before actually beginning. This will really save on time so that you don’t finish putting up your cobweb, only to realize you wanted to string the lights in that particular spot.
2. Discuss with your roommate/s (if you have any) what your theme will be. Make sure you both agree on what you want to do, so that one doesn’t feel ignored or even, in extreme cases, uncomfortable in her own room. This should be a joint project, something you can even bond over!
3. DIY is a great idea, and it definitely doesn’t have to be complicated. They’re also a great way to de-stress after a long day of studying and homework.
4. Experiment and figure out what you like/don’t like. You have at least 4 years to get it right, mistakes are just a part of the fun!
5. Try and keep it simple, even you might get annoyed after spending a whole month bending over avoiding different decorations. You do still need to keep your room livable.
Top 6 decoration ideas:
Spooky string lights (strung up along the walls)
I was able to find great yellow and orange colored lights for only 5 dollars at Lights for All Occasions, a great site for any sort of string lights. These are adorable, and when you turn off those bright lamps, really give off that mysterious vibe.
And if you really want to get into decorating, try buying circular lights and covering them with an off white burlap fabric, making sure to tie it over the circular lights; this way, you’ll have plenty of little ghosts seemingly floating along the edges of your room! Target has a great collection of circular paper lanterns that work perfectly.