A Dazzling Night with Adele in the Big Apple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Adele has finally made her reappearance in the United States and there is no better place than New York City. After four years of silence, she has wowed the world again. On Tuesday November 17, 2015, Adele took the stage at Radio City Music Hall to a sold out crowd. The only way in to the one-night show was to win. She launched a website where you could Shazam your way in, complete trivia questions, or simply fill out an entry form in hopes of winning the coveted tickets. Various radio stations throughout the east coast held contests where entrants had to submit an entry where they had to “Explain why you love Adele in 25 words” in honor of her album, 25, which will be released on Friday, November 20th.

As Adele made her way out to center stage, the crowd rose and gave her a standing ovation before she even sang a single word. She kicked off the night with her record-breaking song, “Hello.” Cameramen circled the stage and filmed the audience to catch every note and every reaction for her upcoming special Adele: Live in New York City, which airs on NBC on December 14th. Her special will also feature some other past hits that she performed such as “Someone Like You,” “Chasing Pavements,” “Hometown Glory,” and a brand new song titled “Water Under the Bridge.”

Adele’s performance of her song “Hometown Glory” included a tribute to Paris in light of the recent events. Video clips behind her featured scenes of the Eiffel Tower paired with blue, white, and red lights projected onto the ceiling to symbolize France’s flag. The audience roared with applause to honor those lost this past week.

Between songs Adele humored the audience with her quirky comments. After a few songs she admitted “I’ve been dying to do a f***ing show!” After four long years she is back and ready to show the world how in love she is. Although she is most known to write sentimental break up songs like her hit “Someone Like You,” now Adele is in love and couldn’t be happier. In an interview in early 2012, in regards to the man she wrote “Someone Like You” about, she said, “I’ve met someone who is much better than him. In fact, next time I sing “Someone Like You” I’m going to be like ‘Never mind I FOUND someone like you.’” And she kept her promise. After stopping a few notes into the song, she confessed her love for her current partner, Simon, her face lit up with happiness. She proudly sang “Never mind I found someone like you” giving every soul in the audience chills.  

Adele also declared how nervous she was for such an important show. She continuously mentioned how she usually gets so nervous she blacks out, but this was one show she would remember forever.  Among the crowd was Donald Trump, SNL’s Vanessa Bayer, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Matthew McConaughey, The Today Show’s Matt Laurer and Savannah Guthrie, Tina Fey, Raven Symoné, Stephen Spielberg, Bill Murray, and countless other celebrities. It’s safe to say that Adele killed every note and created one of the most memorable nights for the entire audience.

Check out Adele’s breathtaking performance of “Hello” at Radio City Music Hall.

Just a broke girl with a concert addiction.