danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Creating a Balance: Juggling Work and School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

A major part of college is learning how to balance your life. You’re now independent and responsible for taking care of yourself. This includes going to class, having a social life, and (attempting to have) financial independence. College students are notorious for being a little bit low on funds and most of us want to change that. Having a job on campus while trying to do well in class is a challenge. UConn student, Seliana Seradieu gave us some insight on what it’s like to try to juggle all aspects of life.

Name: Seliana Seradieu

Year: Freshman

Major: Biology

Q:  Where do you work on campus?

A: I work at the licensing and acquiring section at the library in the basement as well as the dining hall in Buckley. I’m mostly an assistant at the library to Merlita Murphy.

Q: How many hours a week do you work?

A: I work about 16 or more hours a week. I work about 8 hours at each job, and typically pick up other shifts at Buckley when people call out.

Q: How’d it feel to get your first ever paycheck?

A: I actually didn’t even use it on myself.  I sent my first pay check to my godmother in Haiti since she just had a little baby girl and she named her after me which is so exciting.  I always wanted a younger sibling so now it’s like I have one. She called me immediately, I sent it electronically, and she was so happy and holding back tears on the phone.  The fact that I was able to give something back to her was just so nice because she’s like another mother to me.

Q: Favorite part of each job?

A:  At the library, I love getting advice from my boss, she’s so hilarious and she has a way with telling stories. At Buckley I like closing, it’s the toughest time but it’s a great bonding experience with all of the workers.

Q: How do you find time to do it all?

A:  I don’t really! When I leave the dorm form 8:45 a.m. or earlier, I don’t come back until I’m finished with everything, so I typically come back like 7-8 p.m. And on a bad day 1:30 A.M. when I have to cram for tests.

Q: What do you do in your free time?

A:  I try to catch up with sleep! I also try to club meetings as well. I just attended UConn Empower’s latest meeting. It’s a club focused on volunteering. This past meeting we volunteered at a soup kitchen. Whatever free time I have left after classes, homework, and my jobs, I try to do something meaningful with. But I also still fit in the occasional Netflix.

Q:  Do you find it difficult to balance having a job, school work, and a social life?

A: I don’t have much of a social life, haha. I try to make my study group time my social time. It’s difficult to balance everything I partake in but I know the end result will be worth it.

Q:  Do you have any advice for anyone else in a situation similar to yours?

A: Limit the amount of time you spend on the internet. Once you start, it’s hard to get off. I get distracted if I put on Netflix so I try not to do that if I need to do work. If you know you have something you need to do, don’t tempt yourself. I would also talk to your professors too.  If you need to get help it can be hard with little free time, so they should be flexible and try to figure out a time you can see them.

All images provided by Seliana Seradieu

Alexis Angelini is a fourth-year student studying English and Communication. When not working as a Social Media Content Producer, Alexis is heavily involved on campus. She currently serves as the President of UConn Yoga Sangha, the Marketing Director of Her Campus UConn, as well as a Peer Educator in S.H.A.P.E. Her love and interest for social media is reflected in her experience, as she has worked with brands such as Aerie, Rent the Runway, Hallmark, Neutrogena, The Economist, Uber, etc. Her social media experience has helped start-ups to Forbes-featured businesses to Fortune 500 companies with their social media.
Nikki is the Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief for Her Campus UConn.  She is a senior majoring in Communication with a minor in HDFS.  Nikki wishes she was Beyoncé, worships Adele, eats more pasta than is probably recommended, and is a Ravenclaw at heart.   If you have any questions or concerns regarding Her Campus UConn, you can email her at nicoleharris@hercampus.com.