Casey Turovac: Founding Member of Alpha Chi Omega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Alpha Chi Omega is making their big appearance this year here at UCONN. Unlike the other sororities here on campus, their beginning was a little different. They had to find a full chapter of girls and start fresh! Luckily, it has been a great success. I had the chance to talk to Casey Turovac a founding member of Alpha Chi Omega and one of my sisters.

Why did you decide to join Alpha Chi Omega?

I decided to join Alpha Chi because it was my home away from home. I loved what they stood for, and how passionate everyone was. My cousin was an Alpha Chi at another college and it truly shaped her into the person she is today. I knew that I would become a better version of myself being apart of such an amazing sisterhood here at UCONN.

Overall, how was the process?

I thought it was a great process because they put on multiple events where we could really imagine what it would be like to be an Alpha Chi. Through these functions I got to meet a lot of potential new members that now are some of my best friends.

How was bid day?

Bid day was absolutely amazing. I got to meet so many new people and have great bonding time over wings, insomnia and of course taking tons of pictures. I also loved that we got a bid day buddy assigned right off the bat so I got to meet someone new so quickly.

How does it feel to be a founding member?

Honestly being a founding member is such a privilege and honor. I am so happy that I am starting up a sorority that can grow to become future members’ dream sisterhood. 

What does the philanthropy mean to you?

Philanthropy means helping others and supporting not only one group of people but also a community. I personally feel so lucky that our philanthropy is domestic violence because we are women helping women. 

Anyone you currently look up to in the group?

Honestly it is so hard to pick one, just because I admire and look up to all my new sisters. They are all such individuals and I learn some the new every day from them.  

What are you most looking forward to about AXO this year?

Spending time with the chapter and making memories that will last a lifetime. 

Lastly, how would you describe Alpha Chi?

A group of amazing dedicated girls that have not only become my friends, but sisters.