Biggest Takeaways from New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

From September 10-17, New York held it’s semi-annual Fashion Week. Fashion Week is the ultimate fashion event and New York Fashion Week is one of the largest in the world.   This is where designers show their collections to buyers, the media, and the public.  The most world-renowned and high-end designers showed their ready-to-wear collections for Spring 2016.  Here are some of the biggest takeaways from Fashion Week to use as inspiration for your wardrobe come spring.   

RomanceYou can’t go wrong with sticking to classic colors like red, black, white, or blush pink.  This season, incorporate lace, off-the-shoulder necklines, color blocking, and sleek silhouettes for a romantic and elegant style.  Try out a bold red lip color for a night out.  The romantic style is perfect for any evening.  Below are some of my favorites from Oscar de la Renta and Vera Wang.

PatternsA multitude of patterns were popular among designers during NYFW.  Patterns are a fun way to stand out in your everyday life.  Ethnic flare, bohemian style, and mod patterns were some of the most popular.  Bright colors and classic floral patterns are perfect for the season like these from Ralph Lauren and Oscar de la Renta.

Elements of SparkleThis spring, use metallic shimmer, sequence, and jewels to add an element of sparkle to any basic style.  Try a metallic dusted material on a basic color to add a pop, like this red dress below from Oscar de la Renta.  For a more glamorous look, sequins is perfect for a night out or more formal special event.  As seen in Vera Wang’s and Donna Karan’s collections.

BohoNot surprisingly, Boho is still in for spring!  Loose and flowing dresses and tops, maxi dresses, floral patterns, fringe, and crochet are some ways you can get this look.  With both comfort and style, it’s no wonder that Boho has been a reoccurring spring trend.  This look transitions perfectly from spring through summer.  Here is some inspiration from Tommy Hilfiger.

Simple Slip-StyleThe night-gown style with simple colors, like nude or cream paired with a silky material make for the perfect comfy and elegant look.  Try this style in a dress or a skirt for an evening look.  Here are some pieces from Calvin Klein, ZAC Zac Posen, and Tibi.  

Military chicInspired by military uniform, this style is practical with classic army green color and structured pieces.  Designers, such as Alexander Wang and Versace, featured this style in their line.  Versace uses pops of color with the green to make the collection unique.  One of my favorite pieces from the military look is camo-green bomber jacket.

Taylor is a senior at UConn majoring in Communications and Journalism, dreaming of living and working in New York City. She is passionate about Fashion, Health, and Sports. In her free time, she loves to travel and spend time with family and friends. She is a Starbucks addict and lover of all things dessert.