The Best Ways To Be an All-Star Intern- Wherever That May Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

My unexplainable spring semester abroad came to a close before I knew it. As much as I wasn’t ready to leave the endless plates of homemade pasta and bottles of red, I couldn’t wait to catch the morning A train every morning heading downtown towards the Hearst Tower. My dream is to become the next Carrie Bradshaw in the big city after college, and I made it my mission to make sure I did all that I could to learn from the best this past summer as a beauty intern at Cosmopolitan Magazine.

The first time I walked through the doors of Cosmo this summer, my heart skipped a beat. This was where the best sex tips, love advice, fashion dos and don’ts, cheap beauty steals and much more was all produced each month. Trendy men and women graced the office, all amazing writers and some of the most intelligent people I have ever met. I was ready to learn from them, work hard and let them know I was Samantha Faragalli, not just another summer intern.

All internships will be completely different. You will work with different people and learn different things, but there are key things I learned this summer that I know are universal for internships, and here they are:

1. Do what you have to do to get your resume in.

Whether it is stalking your potential boss on LinkedIn, sending numerous emails or following them on social media, be sure you know everything about them and the internship you are applying for. Don’t be afraid to follow-up a few times, ask questions and express your interest. I made sure I learned about all my bosses before I applied, and I learned more about them after I got hired. I was dilligent with my email, and I went above and beyond to get intouch with them. This is super important and must be done in order to be hired. Do all you can to get them to give you the internship.

2. Look the part.

This is your chance to prove yourself; first impressions are everything. Depending on your internship, dress to fit in with the office. My internship called for fashion forward, but of course office appropriate. Ask a friend for outfit advice if you aren’t sure. Also, don’t be afraid to shoot your boss an email before you start your internship asking for the proper dress code. I’d say leave your booty shorts home, and pull out your finest pair of dress pants. Don’t come into work like you partied on the Upper West side the night before. I found multiple office appropriate dresses that were my go-to this summer. 

3. Make connections. With EVERYONE.

Come out of your shell and let that office know who you are. Introduce yourself to people while walking past their cubicles; ask them how they got to where they are. People love to share their stories with you and give advice about how to be successful. Don’t only focus on your department, branch out and make connections in other departments as well. You never know where you will end up one day. I personally made sure I introduced myself to everyone that came into the beauty closet. I asked them how they ended up at Cosmo, and what they recommend for a future graduate trying to work in the industry. Everyone gave me such great advice and was willing to help. Of course, don’t bother someone if they are extremely busy. Use your judgement!

4. Find a mentor.

Pick someone who you want to shadow during your internship. Ask them for advice, if they need any assistance and watch how they work on a daily basis. See what makes them as successful as they are. Do they keep lists? Do they set a certain time frame to get work done? Whatever it is, learn from them. Use your mentor as someone who could teach you and help you become better. My mentor this summer was beyond helpful. She taught me important things that I will most likely not get to learn in the classroom, and I looked up to her my entire time there. It’s important to form these relationships, for I promise they will be willing to help you in the future as well.

5. Be a sponge.

Listen and observe everything that goes on. Take notes if you have too! An internship is a chance to get outside of the classroom and have a hands on experience, so make sure you take full advantage of it. Watch how people communicate, complete tasks and reach deadlines. I learned so much in my three months at Cosmo than I probably ever will in the classroom. I listened, took advice and asked question. It went a long way.

6. Ask for self evaluations at the end.

So your internship has ended and you are dying to know what they thought of you. Throughout your boss’ busy days, you may feel like they don’t even know that you are there. Trust me when I say they do! They appreciate your hard work greatly, and they would love to let you know your strengths and weaknesses. On your last day, ask them for a quick self-evaluation in person or through email. I did this, and I got awesome feedback. I learned my strong points, and also learned what I had to work on. Don’t be afraid to take constructive criticism, it will only help you in the long run.

7. Keep in touch when it’s over!

Be sure to stop by and say hi every once in a while. Whether it is a simple email to catch up, or a scheduled lunch date on your school breaks, keeping in touch is super important. These people gave you an amazing opportunity, and it is your duty to make sure you keep them as a close connection. Keeping in touch will remind them how much you appreciated the opportunity, and how much you would love their help in the future. This is especially important when it is time to apply for jobs. There’s a very high chance that they know someone who is hiring and could put in a good word for you; as long as you don’t fall off the face of the earth. Make sure you record all of the contact information of the people you want to stay in touch with. Don’t hesitate to ask people for business cards, they are extremely helpful.

Keeping these tips in mind will definitaley lead you to a successful internship experience. Remember that everyone you are working with was in your position at one point as well. Don’t freak out; just walk in and out of that office with poise and confidence, and do your best to get hired.