The Best Things About Going Home for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Collegiettes, good news! We’ve made it through most of the semester. With only three weeks left until finals, many of us may feel burnt out and as if we’re running on fumes. Luckily, in just a few days, we have an entire week of freedom in front of us, so we can refuel before gearing up for finals studying.

With Thanksgiving break comes a mix of emotions for many collegiettes; relief at having an entire week out of classes, fomo about missing our roomies, full stomachs of real food, and dread at the awkward questions from random family members. To help us look forward to Thanksgiving break, let’s look at some of the best parts of being home!

1. Food.

Whether you are on a meal plan or living off campus, returning home to the parents’ homemade cooking is a long-awaited treat. While it was great at the start of the semester, those questionable mashed potatoes at the dhall and weekly grocery shopping for apartment dwellers is no longer amusing.  Stock up on those holiday leftovers to bring back to school to survive finals preparation!

2. Laundry.

We’re lucky at UConn to have free laundry in all of the residence halls, but that doesn’t make lugging that giant hamper downstairs any more enjoyable. Maybe, if we put on our sweetest puppy-dog-eyed expression, our parents will happily do our laundry?

3. Relaxation.

An entire week free from class means an excessive amount of time spent sleeping and binge watching Gossip Girl on Netflix. After all of your hard work this semester, you deserve it! Um, excuse me Netflix, you should know I’m definitely still watching.

4. Friends.

Yes, it’s a total bummer that you and your roomie are separated for a whole week. However, now it’s time to reunite with all of your high school besties! Grab coffee, go out to dinner, and maybe even have a classic sleepover so you can gab all night and catch up on the happenings of the semester!

5. Family.

Between those awkward encounters with great aunts and bickering matches with siblings, being with your family is actually really nice. Now that you’ve spent time apart at school, you might realize you actually miss your annoying brother and have a lot in common with your mom. Embrace the family craziness and participate in family traditions!

6. Returning to School.

It’s been great to be home, but it’s a comfort to know that we’ll be reunited with our friends and campus in a few short days. It’s time for one last hurrah before the end of the semester and an extended stay at home.

Currently a senior at the University of Connecticut, Grace McMorrow is pursuing a degree in Journalism and Communications.  From a young age she could be found sitting in a comfy corner devouring a book or filling up a journal and her love of words has only grown with age. She's learned to embrace her awkward, quirky nature once she learned being like Mia Thermopolis or Jessica Day isn't all that bad. Grace tends to spend her free time staying up to date on pop culture, obsessing over fictional characters, and daydreaming about her next faraway travel destination.