8 Ways to Eat Healthier During Family Get-Togethers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This time of year marks the beginning of family gatherings and holidays. Whenever there is a family party, there’s always an abundance of delicious food. While it is oh-so-tempting to overindulge and eat everything in sight, you know that you’ll eventually regret it after. Here are some tips to navigate the food abundance and stay healthy this holiday season:

1. Cook a healthy dish yourself and bring it to the party

By finding a healthy recipe and making it yourself, you’ll know exactly what you’re putting into your body. Other guests will appreciate another healthy option on the table. Whatever you make, be sure to make it healthy AND delicious.

2. Find the veggies first

Fill your plate up with salad and vegetables first, so you have a smaller portion of the less-healthy options. This should fill you up without being overstuffed.

3. Choose outfits decisively

While it may be more comfortable to wear loose-fitting clothing when you plan to overeat, opt for a more slimming option. By wearing a tighter shirt/dress or a belt, you will easily see and feel when it’s time to put the fork down. So use this as an excuse to go to the mall and buy a cute new holiday outfit!

4. Think about how you’ll feel after if your overeat 

Our eyes are bigger than our stomachs. So before you go back for thirds, think how you’ll feel hours later. We all hate that disgusting and bloating feeling- so stop it before it happens.

5. Eat slow and enjoy every bite 

Mindfulness involves eating with intention and attention for optimal satisfaction.  Be sure to savor every single bite of the food you eat.  By eating at a slower pace, your body has a chance to signal that you’re full and you’ll be less likely to overeat.

6. Don’t deprive yourself 

Don’t just eat a small portion of vegetables. Enjoy the mashed potatoes, ham, and turkey- just in moderation. Portion control is key.  Food is essential to fuel your body and provide enjoyment to your senses. So don’t deprive yourself or feel guilty if you do eat too much.

7. Slice your own piece of pie 

So since we vowed to stay healthy yet not deprive ourselves, it’s okay if we try just a bite of grandma’s homemade apple pie. But rather than having someone else grab you a slice, cut the piece yourself to get a moderate portion. In fact, the first two bites create the strongest pleasure sensation. The more you eat, the less additional pleasure you get from each bite. So keep your portions low and pleasure high!

8. Don’t just think about the food…

We all know that 70% of the excitement of the holidays (other than gifts) is for the meal. But don’t forget the other reason why you’re there

…enjoy time spent with friends and family

Put away the cell phones, catch up with friends, and listen to old family stories. Treasure the time you all have together, because that’s what this time of the year is all about!