6 Ways to Keep Your Skin Glowing for the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you’re reading this right now, you are either one of two people:

1. You have beautiful skin, and you want to keep it that way. (It didn’t get that way overnight! There’s no way you’re going to let go of it now.)

2. Your skin has seen the icy depths of winter, and you’re surprised there’s even hope of it returning at this point. Your lips feel like they went through an ice age, and let’s not even get started on your skin in general.

Don’t feel bad if you’re person #2 (I’m that person too) because there is hope. And the best thing? You don’t have to spend your life savings either!

Here are 6 tips that will get you through the winter with style and without dry skin. 

1.  Aquaphor

Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment, 4 OZ $9.49 at CVS

This is hands down one of the best products I’ve used and celebs like Nicole Kidman and Beyoncé swear by it too. (I mean…. If Beyoncé uses it, it HAS to be good.) But let’s be real here, unlike Vaseline (which is also a great product if you use it right) which is 100% petroleum jelly, Aquaphor is only 41% petroleum jelly. Therefore, it lets your skin breathe a little, which promotes healing. Rub this all over your face at night, and it’ll be like you’ve shed all your old crusty skin and were reborn the next morning. The best thing about Aquaphor is that it comes in a tube as well as a jar, and even a little lip-balm sized jar. Use whichever you prefer, but the lip-balm sized jar is so cute and great for travel.

This product is ALSO great for those nights where you have a cold and can’t breathe through your nose. Breathing through your mouth for a long time causes your lips to dry out. Well worry no more, because with Aquaphor, your lips will not dry out. It’s like magic. Aquaphor doesn’t leave a thick residue once it dries because… it doesn’t dry. It’s amazing. It’s also good if you want to wear lipstick but your lips are really dry or if it’s really windy outside. You can use Aquaphor anywhere, it’s your one-stop shop to better skin. What’s better than that?

TIP: When you go shop for this, you’ll see so many different versions. “Lip Treatment”, “Advanced Therapy,” “for face.” Just get the cheapest one, they are all the same (with the exception of the advanced therapy one, but basically they’re all the same.)

2. Vaseline

Vaseline Lip Therapy Lip Balm, 0.25 OZ; $2.27 at CVS

For those of us who have skin that has a mind of its own, Vaseline’s thick, 100% petroleum jelly formula, may be a little too much for us. But trust me, Vaseline is great if you use it correctly. If you have skin that isn’t oily but is prone to acne, skip the Vaseline and just go for Aquaphor. If you have non-oily skin, just slather this all over your face. However, if you’re someone like me, who has that pesky combination skin, the kind that can be dry and oily at the exact same time (like… why??) you must use Vaseline with strategy.

I prefer Vaseline’s little lip-balms, because they come in these cute travel-sized jars.  However it’s literally just Vaseline in a smaller container, nothing more. When it comes to Vaseline, only put it on the skin that can’t get acne. By this I mean, under your eyes, on your eyelids, on your brow bone (basically your eye-area) and then your lips and slightly around your lips. There’s a science to this. The type of skin on your eye area and your lips is totally different than the skin on the rest of your face, therefore, it’s mostly okay to put Vaseline on these areas. However, everyone’s skin is different, so if this doesn’t work for you, I have one word. Aquaphor.

TIP: You don’t have to get Vaseline’s little 0.25 OZ lip balm, that’s just the kind I like. Getting a large tub of Vaseline will give you the same benefits and probably save you money in the long run. 

3. Vitamin E Lotion

Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E Skin Care Cream (2 Pack, 4 OZ each); $3.67 at Walmart

My life changed when I was introduced to the power of vitamin E. I used to have dry skin to the point that it would flake off, (disgusting, I know) no matter what I put on it, nothing would work.  That is, until I found vitamin E. It not only brightened my skin, but brought life back into it. Vitamin E skin cream is especially good for those areas that are delicate, but need life to be brought back, but it could be used on your whole face.

During the winter, your skin may seem a little dull. It’s not your fault, the combination of the cold weather hitting your skin, as well as the overall bleakness of winter can take a toll. Vitamin E is great at brightening your skin, and it’s very light. It’s not like Vaseline or Aquaphor where it’s super thick or leaves a sheen on you, so you can wear it before you apply makeup, or before you go outside without looking like a glazed donut. The best part of vitamin E? It slows down signs of aging!

TIP: The brand doesn’t matter for vitamin E lotions, just try to make sure vitamin E is the first ingredient listed and that it doesn’t contain too many fragrances or chemicals. Don’t get too caught up in the fancy labels, the simplest one is usually the best! The one pictured is not only a great value, but also very effective. It has vitamin E, aloe vera, wheat germ, sunflower seed oil, collagen, elastin, as well as a tiny bit of fragrance (it’s the last ingredient), but it’s very light and goes away in a few minutes.

4. Don’t Exfoliate

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, 8 OZ; $8.99 at CVS and Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser, 6.8 OZ; $9.99 at CVS

This one gets me every time because who doesn’t love the clean feeling you get after you exfoliate your skin? It’s like you’re scrubbing off all the bad things and making room for better things to grow. But in reality, you’re scrubbing off the protective layers of your skin which can make it even drier than it was in the first place. If you absolutely have to exfoliate, make sure you use moisturizer right after.

However, if you can avoid exfoliating, try a gentle cleanser instead. No, it won’t be as satisfying, but your skin will thank you for it.

TIP: Brands such as Cetaphil, or even Eucerin are on the pricier side per ounce, but I can safely say they do work for most people (especially Eucerin which is good to try out if you have sensitive skin, but can’t find anything useful). For my sister, who has severe eczema, Cetaphil and Eucerin were the only products that were gentle enough that they wouldn’t burn and they were both effective for her. 

5. Forget About “Face Oils”

Face oils may seem like an easier way to get your face the moisture it needs, but in reality, your skin isn’t very good at absorbing oil. Face oil is good for providing a protective barrier in the cold if you’re going outside, but other than that, it doesn’t really do much for the future of your skin. Instead, go for a cream version of the vitamin or oil you are trying to get.  (This tip is from my sister’s dermatologist.)

6. Keep It Simple!

Walking into a drugstore, it’s hard to not get distracted by all the different products they have. I usually walk in planning to get mascara, and walk out with five different things. However, if you go to get a lotion and are confused by which one to get, just get the simplest version. Ignore the claims of their “secret ingredient” that “transforms your skin” and costs five dollars more, and ignore the different “new” versions of a product, because chances are, it’s the same thing with a little twist. Instead, go into a drugstore informed about what actually works, and always read the ingredients. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different products because there’s a high chance what works for me, won’t work for you, and what works for you, won’t work for someone else.  Always consult a doctor or dermatologist about what products would be perfect for your skin type.

That’s all there is to it! Now go forth and have glowing skin!

Cover Image Source