6 Things That Happen When UConn Goes to the Final Four

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As many (ALL) of you know, the UConn men’s basketball team beat Michigan State last Sunday in the Elite Eight to advance to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament in Texas. The next day, the women’s team did the same thing, beating Texas A&M to head to the women’s Final Four in Nashville, Tennessee. UConn and the entire state of Connecticut responded accordingly.

1. A riot occurred in Fairfield Way. Crowds were surfed. Fires were started. Chants were yelled. It was all out chaos and an insanely awesome way to celebrate the win.

2. Governor Malloy declared the weekend of April 4th – April 6th “HUSKY WEEKEND” in the state of Connecticut. It doesn’t get more legit than that. 

3. Students took the opportunity for a road trip. After UConn won, Husky fans bought tickets and formed groups to make the 25-hour drive (or 4 hour flight for the lucky ones) down to the Lone Star State.

4. And then, USG funded a bus ride down for students for only $100!

5. The UConn twitter tweeted at Barack Obama…and Jimmy Fallon pointed it out.

6. Someone wrote a rap about Shabazz. #ShabbazOnEm

GO HUSKIES! The men’s game will be shown in Gampel Pavillion. Doors open at 5 p.m. and tipoff is at 6:09 p.m. The women’s game will be shown in the SU Theater – doors open at 8 p.m. for the 8:30 p.m. game! 

Sarah is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UConn. She is a Communication and Journalism major at the University of Connecticut newly suffering from the travel bug after a summer in Spain and an obsession with all things UConn Husky Basketball.