The 5 Most Underrated Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We all have those Christmas movies that we can’t wait to see every year. They usually play over and over again on TV, but even if they don’t, you still find a way to watch them. Elf, Home Alone, and all of the others! Even though we love these movies, there are some Christmas movies that do not get the praise they deserve. Here is a list of the 5 most underrated Christmas movies:

1. Christmas Cupid (2010)

Christmas Cupid is a modern take on A Christmas Carol. Sloane (Christina Milian) is a public relations representative for a huge movie star, Caitlin Quinn (Ashley Benson). When Caitlin suddenly passes away, Sloane gets visits from a ghost version of Caitlin who takes her on a journey through her past, present, and future, trying to get Sloane to change her ways. This movie is great if you love the concept of A Christmas Carol but want a version that may be a bit more modern. 

4. Love at the Christmas Table (2012)

Love at the Christmas Table explores the relationship of Kat (Danica McKellar) and Sam (Dustin Milligan) every Christmas from the time that they were kids to when they grow up. They start off as best friends who are each other’s companions at their annual Christmas dinner party. Throughout the years, they both learn more about each other and how important they are to one another. This movie explores their blossoming relationship and how what you want can be right in front of your eyes.  

3. All About Christmas Eve (2012)

Eve (Haylie Duff) is at a crossroads in her life. Ever since she graduated from art school, she’s wanted to be an artist. Instead, she got a job with a renowned party planner after a chance encounter. Her boss sends her to L.A. to plan a Christmas party for an up-and-coming technology company, but she is running late on the morning of her flight. This film shows the two situations that could happen if Eve ends up missing her flight or if she makes it. All About Christmas Eve teaches us the importance of being true to yourself and how everything happens for a reason.

2. The Mistle-Tones (2012)

The Mistle-Tones revolves around Holly (Tia Mowry) who wants to join the Snow Belles, a singing group that her mother used to be a part of before she passed away. The leader of the Snow Belles, Marci (Tori Spelling) denies Holly a spot. Holly creates her own singing group called the Mistle-Tones and competes to be a part of the annual Christmas Eve show at the local mall. This film is filled with modern versions of classic Christmas songs, a love story, and reminds the audience that it’s okay to be different. 

1. The Santa Clause (1994)

The Santa Clause is a classic Christmas tale of a man who is a bit of a Grinch, but with the magic of Christmas, learns how to be a family man and quite literally, the father of Christmas. Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) is divorced from his wife and has to split time with her to see their son, Charlie. When Charlie is with Scott on Christmas Eve, they have an encounter with Santa Claus that makes him disappear. Charlie begs Scott to put on the Santa suit, which ultimately makes him the new Santa. The North Pole, elves, the true meaning of Christmas… this movie has it all!

Get some hot cocoa, snuggle up by the fire, and check out these underrated movies this holiday season.

Cover Image Source