katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Money-Saving Tips for Broke College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

1. Never pass up free stuff

Whether you are at McDonald’s, Starbucks or any other fast food establishment, don’t forget to grab napkins, ketchup, sugar packets and disposable silverware. These are prime opportunities to stock up and save yourself some money at the grocery store.

2. COUPONS

Now that you are in full fledged “adulting” mode, coupons will become your best friend as you try to save money whenever possible. Stores like CVS offer great deals that, for broke college students like many of us, lessen the damage done to our savings.

3. Ask yourself the important questions

Now is the time in your life where, being strapped for cash, you need to ask yourself the “do I need that?” question that immediately makes us wish we could poof our responsibilities away. Whether it is a new shirt you want to buy, or going out for dinner for the third night in a row, ask yourself if a.) what you are considering is a necessary item/outing and b.) is there a cheaper alternative. Even though you may not end up with what you originally had in mind, by saving money in these small moments you will have more to spend later. 

4. Don’t underestimate the power of leftovers

Buying food in bulk can save you a lot of money, but often people struggle with using all of the food up before it spoils. Next time you have this issue, you can stretch the food over the course of a few days and in the process you will have your next couple of lunches or dinners planned for your busy week ahead. 

5. Put aside your preferences… sometimes

Just because you are on a budget doesn’t mean you have to change your lifestyle completely, but a great alternative to purchasing name brands is going for cheaper, generic brands. This way, you are still getting the product you know and love but at a reduced price, which is better for you and your wallet in the long run.

Bonus: Download restaurant apps

Companies such as Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks offer rewards for customers that use their app, such as free drinks and discounted items. Ordering through these apps not only gives customers opportunities to earn free stuff, but is it also helps significantly cut down your wait time once you arrive.

Cover Image Source