She Flies High, No Lie: Bryanne Halfhill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

A little over a week ago, Bryanne Halfhill became the newest inductee to the 1,000 point club in the UChicago basketball program. To top it off, the 4th year also broke the school record for 3-point baskets, totaling at 62. One might say she had a rather successful Sunday night.

Originally hailing from Canfield, Ohio, Bryanne has been playing basketball ever since she can remember. When she was younger, Bryanne spent the majority of her time near a basketball hoop, shooting and dribbling with her sister. Bryanne continued to play throughout high school where she helped lead her team to four conference titles.

At UChicago, with the number 24 impressed on her jersey, Bryanne has acted as the main shooting guard for the team, starting in all 29 games so far this season. Last year, the women’s basketball team made it to the “Elite 8”, solidifying its position as one of the top eight teams in NCAA Women’s Division III basketball. Bryanne hopes that the team can go even further this year, a feat that will commence in March.

When she surpassed the 1,000 point mark, Bryanne was admittedly excited, joking that she was mostly relieved that the task was finally finished. As her total was approaching a thousand, Bryanne continually received remarks telling her that she was only twenty or ten points away, the number shrinking with each basket as the anticipation grew. Once the 1,000th point was made, Bryanne confesses that she was glad it was over with and that she could just focus on her playing.

Equally impressive to Bryanne’s achievements on the court is her ability to balance both academics and athletics. Admittedly, keeping up with the work demanded by her Econ courses while remaining dedicated to the basketball program has not been particularly easy. Although she is left with very little free time to engage in other activities, Bryanne’s various obligations have forced her to settle in a structured schedule that helps her remain focused.

Aside from winning games with them, the time Bryanne has spent with her teammates has allowed her to form tight bonds with the girls, Bryanne making her best friends through basketball. Bryanne believes that being on the team at UChicago has been the best experience of her life. Despite the sacrifices required to be a part of the basketball program, Bryanne says she would not change a single thing about her time at the University. Being a part of a competitive team while doing something that she loves every day is a component of the college that Bryanne cherishes and will miss once she graduates this coming Spring.

An Economics major, Bryanne plans on furthering her education by pursuing a degree in finance or marketing. She later hopes to find a career that involves forming relationships and working with others. While basketball may not play a role in her future job, Bryanne acknowledges that her experience at UChicago has been invaluable. As she progresses in the career world, Bryanne will never forget about her girls and what they achieved together as a team.

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.