Restaurant Review: Topo Gigio, An Old Town Treasure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

We all know how tempting it is to stop venturing quite so far afield in the search for somewhere to satisfy your appetite on Saturday night. When the temperature starts to drop and the need to study really kicks in, it’s perfectly understandable that you’d prefer to stick to the firm favourites that Hyde Park has to offer. However, with a sense of adventure comes great reward, and discovering Topo Gigio has been one of the culinary highlights of my year so far.

Set in Old Town, Topo Gigio offers a broad range of Italian dishes, where you really can find something for everyone. The pasta is fantastic, in particular the Conchiglie alla Sarda, and there is a wide variety of excellent seafood on offer. The salads are also inventive and exciting for those looking for a healthier or lighter option. Although some of the food is a little pricey (a typical pasta dish is around $14-15), you are guaranteed to get your money’s worth. The portions are large and it is almost certain that you will leave with a container of leftovers to be indulged in later. The atmosphere is warm, friendly and vibrant and is perfect for a group of friends looking to relax after the rigorous week of a typical UChicago student. The walls are covered in pictures of celebrities who have already discovered the gem that is Topo Gigio and it tends to always be pretty busy, so making reservations is highly recommended.

Old Town may seem a little far for those of us without a car. However, it is perfectly accessible by public transit; the trip takes on average around an hour. It is a neighbourhood that also offers plenty more to explore, once you have ventured up there. Old Town is home to Second City and boasts many other comedy clubs and excellent bars and pubs. Topo Gigio is also conveniently located less than a mile from Lincoln Park Zoo, which is open and free all year round.

So if you want to mix eating a fantastic meal with seeing lions and gorillas, laughing too hard at a comedy show or simply soaking up a great atmosphere, then Topo Gigio in Old Town is the place for you. 

Picture courtesy of merchantcircle.com 

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.