MODA: High Art and Hot Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Violet and blue lights, party beats pumping and college kids dressed to the nines; This isn’t a club scene, but the Spring 2013 MODA fashion show. While the venue wasn’t a city club, the Grand Hall of Union Station transcended into an underground celebration of sorts. For two hours this Friday, UChicago’s MODA staff styled the Grand Hall with drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and hot fashion.

There was some talk of disappointment about the repeated venue as last year MODA hosted its Spring Fashion Show in Union Station as well. However, the Hall, with its high ceilings and marble pillars, made for a great back drop for haughty model faces and the bold designs they donned. The benches divided the Hall in such a way that a catwalk just seemed natural. 

Once again, this year’s fashion did not disappoint. The student designs were well done and the overall craftsmanship has improved since last year. There were some true works of art, with one of my favorites being a long black stain dress with high slit and sheer paneling. Designers this year seemed to take a liking for satin and sheer, with color blocking also returning as a popular look. The designs for the men also improved this year and suited their male models better than ever.

Another shining moment for the show was the hair and makeup. There was an overall sixties inspiration, with many models wearing thick, black, winged eyes reminiscent of Twiggy’s classic look. Red lips were a popular choice for the makeup artists, and an emphasis on the cheekbone using bold blush was another technique used that played out beautifully. Total Image really aced the makeup, complementing their models’ teased bouffant updos.

The designs were overall more art than high fashion. This fusion of fashion with art was unique and definitely made the show a success. 

Kali West

U Chicago

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!