Lavine Hemlani ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Name: Lavine Hemlani

Year: First Year

Majors: Economics and Statistics

Favorite thing about America:
In an economic sense, it certainly does seem like the “land of opportunity”.

What was it like adjusting to American life?
It was initially difficult to adjust from the lifestyle in Hong Kong to living in Chicago mainly due to the cultural differences. However, after a few weeks (and meeting some amazing individuals) I was completely adjusted.

How has your perception of the country changed since you got here? Has it changed?
My perception of the country has not changed much because I have visited several times in the past.

How has your college experience differed from that of your friends from back home?
As I went to a British school, the majority of the students in my school ended up going to the UK for their higher education, a fantastic option for students who are ready to specialize in their chosen field. However, by going to the University of Chicago I as given the opportunity to take classes in a wide variety of academic disciplines.

What do you miss most about home?
I miss my family and friends from home. Sometimes even the good Chinese food.

Would you like to live in the US after graduation?
As of right now I am still uncertain about living and working in America after graduation.

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!