Hyde Park Hangout: The Point

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

The Point, known officially as Promontory Point, should be more frequently visited by the student population. Seriously. A man-made peninsula overlooking Lake Michigan, the Point offers a beautiful segment of nature amidst our urban setting yet is not taken advantage of enough. I say that because every time I visit, there appears to be only a dozen, often less, people scattered along the rocks. If you are a student at the University of Chicago and have not yet gone to the Point, then go. Simple as that. Not only is it a short 15 minute walk from campus, but the Point is there for you to enjoy free of charge. Adding to the benefits, as someone who frequents the gym approximately once a month (or less), the walk to the Point serves as my exercise for the day. After I reach the Point and observe the Chicago skyline seated atop the body of teal water, I am always so glad that I took the trip.

Once at the Point, sit on the rocks or one of the many rectangular slabs of cement and get some reading done, whether your literature is associated with class or pleasure. For me, assigned readings become slightly more bearable with the presence of sun and a balmy breeze. If you plan on going with a group of friends, stuff a bag with food and have a picnic on the grass or grab goodies on the walk there at one of the restaurants on 55th or 57th Street. If you enjoy biking, there is also a lengthy path that curves along the lake. In the case that you don’t have a bike of your own, take advantage of the University’s bike share program, recycles, which allows you to borrow a bike for the day. It’s free and requires only online registration at https://www.recyclesbikeshare.com.

Or you can follow the course that I usually opt for and go empty-handed. It is quite glorious to simply lie down on your back, eyes closed, and revel in the joy of idleness after sitting through hours of class and stressing over assignments.

Looking over the rocks and into the water provides a peace I believe is difficult to achieve on campus. A mark of nature such as Lake Michigan can act as a refuge from the stress associated with school since nature knows nothing of impending papers or final exams. During my time at the Point today, I admit that it was pretty exquisite watching small rainbows form every time a wave crashed against the rocks (My likeness to the Double Rainbow guy is only slightly embarrassing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI). While my words may come off as saccharine, I assure you that the Point is a piece of Chicago that should not be ignored. So, go ahead. Check the weather for an upcoming pleasant afternoon and relax beside the water.

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing. 
Lynda Lopez is a first year at the University of Chicago currently considering political science and comparative human development as majors. Lynda has been avidly writing for publications, both online and print, since her sophomore year of high school. During her time in high school, she wrote for the Chicago Tribune, PBS Newshour, and the New York Times Upfront Magazine. She has continued her passion in college and is currently the News and Public Affairs Intern at the University Community Service Center at UChicago as well as heading the news department at a local non-profit. When not writing, she enjoys bike-riding, watching Youtube videos, and hanging out with friends. She is excited to bring Her Campus to UChicago and hopes that it will serve as an informative and entertaining resource for women on campus.