House Culture & Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

“Ah, dorm life…when we didn’t have to cook,” reminisce some upperclassmen who live off campus. The University of Chicago’s housing system is at the center of each undergraduate’s first year at the College, but is more than just easy-access to the dining halls; it is a stronghold of unique cultures and community.

Take my house for example. My house, which shall go unnamed, has already built a name for itself on campus across first-years. Even after O-Week’s fun and games, my house has stuck together and loves going everywhere as a pack.

Consider Fall Formal, which my house took by storm with prom posing, limos (I’m not kidding), and shiny tuxedos. Or go to a frat party and you’ll find that my house is the only one that has its own section of the dance floor. Literally. 40 of us, clustered together, showing off our moves.

Of course, our “party together forever” habits lend themselves to a wide variety of “house-cests,” which we have broadly defined as “acts of love” between house members. I’m pretty sure a diagram exists on someone’s computer of these “house-cest” triangles. Awkward yes, but funny too.

To top it off, we’re home to several unique house personalities, some of which are mentioned below.

We have the “butterflies” that are engaged in a wide variety of activities on campus, and love broadcasting their busy schedules to the rest of us every week.

We have the wanderers who spend more time in other houses than in their own, and the elusive ones whose existence is yet to be confirmed.

We have the gung-ho UChicago folks who, if you’re not careful, will hunt you down to sign you up for intramural sports.

We have a sizable group of kids who party more than they attend class, and the ones whose doors are open every night of the week for both official and unofficial “pre-gaming” festivities.

We also have the cute “gossip girls,” the macho athletes, and those who prefer to label themselves as “just normal.” But most importantly, we have a niche for everyone. We’re united by our weekly house meetings, delicious midnight snacks, spontaneous trips to Chinatown, and our jam sessions. We’ve danced together to “Gangnam Style,” created fake online dating profiles, and even battled another house to protect our resident pillow. Simply put, we’re always having a good time.

I had my doubts about the housing system coming in to UChicago, but I’m incredibly happy to say they’ve been dispelled by the experiences I’ve had with my house. I truly love the community fostered by the housing system—so full of encouragement, support, and never-ending fun. 

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.