Her Campus UChicago On the World in 2012: Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

2011 has finally gone, leaving us to wonder what 2012 has in store for the world. Will the economy get better? What do the runways have in store for this year? And, of course, will the world actually end?

While we can’t see the future (would be cool, though), we at Her Campus UChicago definitely have our own predictions for what the world will look like in 2012. From politics to the movies, we highlight SOME of 2012’s possible events while leaving the rest to your imagination. A lot happens in a year so we weren’t able to cover everything, but hopefully our predictions remain more or less accurate. Each day we’ll cover one spectrum, starting with politics, then the economy, media, fashion, science, and finally, movies, highlighting what we believe will be the best thing about 2012, something that could go either way, and the worst.

But one thing we are sure of? The world isn’t going to end.

Happy New Year, and good reading.

[ pagebreak ]
POLITICS

The best thing about this year: OBAMA’S RE-ELECTION (FOR DEMOCRATS, ANYWAY)

2012 will be a tough election year for U.S. voters as no candidate will completely win over the public. President Obama’s approval rating may have increased to 49% this month, but with the economy in shambles, re-election will be a struggle. On the Republican side, Mitt Romney has arguably emerged as the GOP frontrunner but the campaigns have mainly served to fuel talk show comedy segments rather than inspire Republican and neutral voters.

Yet the disarray will provide the window of opportunity needed for Obama to squeeze by with a victory at the polls. While many would love to see Obama leave the White House for good, the GOP candidates’ slip-ups and perceived ridiculousness has managed to push voters away. As a result November 6th, 2012 could very well be President Obama’s day, if only by a small margin.

But even then, 2012 could mark the beginning of an even more difficult second term for the President. With a Republicans outnumbering Democrats 242 to 192 in the House of Representatives and an economy to fix, winning the 2012 Presidential Election will only be the first of many challenges for Obama.
 [ pagebreak ]
Could go either way: POST-ARAB SPRING

The Arab Spring that began in December 2010 with Mohamed Bouazizi’s self-immolation is far from over. While Tunisia, Egypt, and Libya were deemed successes, post-revolutionary governments still need to address the poverty, corruption, and youth unemployment that gave rise to the revolutions. But for now, the main focus is on building transitional governments to build stability.

Among the three success stories, Tunisia is the most set on writing a new constitution. Ennahda, the moderate Islamist party that won 41% of the seats, has formed a coalition with the two most popular secular parties in an attempt to unite the country through dialogue. But like Egypt and Libya, the current Tunisian government must stay united, especially in light of more liberal citizens’ fears that an Islamist party could impose harsh Islamic law. However, that situation currently seems unlikely, as Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood and Libya’s National Transitional Council are also milder by nature and more concerned with stabilizing the country than establishing religious rule.

But in states like Syria and Yemen, the situation remains unclear. With thousands killed since late January, Syria and Yemen are still in a state of emergency as calls for Presidents Bashar al-Assad and Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down have not so far failed. Whether or not a regime change eventually occurs is still uncertain, as both have gradually given concessions but refused to abdicate. However, the most watched country in the Arab world this year will be Saudi Arabia, whose monarchy has been pressured to give in to some protestors’ demands. Considering King Abdullah’s strong hold over the country, he could very well remain unscathed by the Arab Spring, or his fall could create immense repercussions in the Arab world.
 [ pagebreak ]
NOT looking forward to: NORTH KOREA

While some may argue that Kim Jong-Il’s death may allow the international community to communicate with North Korea, realistically there isn’t much evidence that relations that the highly secretive state will change. In fact, things may get even muddier as the regime will undergo a transition period that will leave everyone wondering what will be different.

And there’s a good chance North Korea will remain just as petulant as ever. Kim Jong-Un’s complete inexperience with state affairs will leave room for many of Kim Jong-Il’s senior ministers to step in and take charge, meaning the country will continue to be shrouded in secrecy. Consequently, Kim Jong-Un will begin 2012 as simply the face of an old guard that has fluctuated in its dealings with other states and insufficiently cared for its own people.

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!
Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.