Her Campus UChicago On the World in 2012: Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

2011 has finally gone, leaving us to wonder what 2012 has in store for the world. Will the economy get better? What do the runways have in store for this year? And, of course, will the world actually end?

While we can’t see the future (would be cool, though), we at Her Campus UChicago definitely have our own predictions for what the world will look like in 2012. From politics to the movies, we highlight SOME of 2012’s possible events while leaving the rest to your imagination. A lot happens in a year so we weren’t able to cover everything, but hopefully our predictions remain more or less accurate. Each day we’ll cover one spectrum, starting with politics, then the economy, media, fashion, science, and finally, movies, highlighting what we believe will be the best thing about 2012, something that could go either way, and the worst.

But one thing we are sure of? The world isn’t going to end.

Happy New Year, and good reading.
[ pagebreak ]

FASHION

The best thing about this year: BEAUTIFUL BOLD COLORS

Think gorgeous dark magentas and rich emerald greens among some shades. They’re regal, they’re elegant, and they make every woman who wears them stand out. Starting in the spring, look out for brighter-than-ever colors that will take you back to your Mediterranean vacation or the vibrant shores of the Caribbean.

While ultra-bold colors have always popped up here and there, they weren’t prominent features on the runway until two or three years ago. Now that they’re appearing in stores everywhere, take the time to experiment by pairing your new electric hues with elegant neutrals for drama. Whether you’re into color-blocking or monochromatic dressing, mix and match to discover all the ways you can add major color to your wardrobe.
  [ pagebreak ]
Could go either way: PRINTS

Just as designers are making their colors ever brighter, they’re also making their prints ever bolder. 2011 gave us no shortage of eye-opening prints that kept us praying for show after show to never end.

Yet despite how great they looked on runways, make sure to be very selective of your prints. While many stores will offer prints just as gorgeous as those you see on TV and in glossy photos, watch out for floral prints that make you look like your grandmother, or animal prints that just don’t suit you. Prints tend to be more precarious than your normal fashion trend, so tread with care.
  [ pagebreak ]
NOT looking forward to: THE “POWER BROW”

There’s no crime in giving your brows the definition they deserve, but a little too much attention can take away from your eyes, lips, and overall face. While most designers at the Paris Spring 2012 Fashion Show managed to successfully imitate the strong yet elegant 60’s makeup signature, this may be one trend girls want to avoid.

Some makeup trends like cat eyes are easy enough to replicate in everyday life, but some are best left at the runway. And unless you have a pair of overly steady hands and a way-above-average eye for details, we would avoid trying the “power brow.” This is one trend we expect to see many women try in their everyday lives but to miss because one small slip-up – whether in shape or hue – can make your eyebrows look too boxy and heavy.

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!
Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.