The Freshman Chronicles: Pre-UChicago Jitters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Countdown: 25 days until the start of the next four years of my life. Most of my friends from high school did not find a legitimate countdown to college to be necessary; they barely had time this summer to see various friends and family members once or twice in between endless shopping trips to Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Target, and IKEA before their move-in day. For me, this is not the case. I have 25 days until I start college. I have time to go see my grandparents once again, pack up my room at a leisurely pace, and take a nap every day. I’ve even been so tempted as to drop by my old high school for lunch with some younger friends and old teachers.

Did I mention that most of my friends left only in the past several days? If I’m this desperate now, what will my mental state be like in 2 weeks?

Of course, when I’m not looking at mobile uploads of my friends at their new schools, my mind quickly fills with thoughts of the University of Chicago. I’m constantly lurking on the UChicago Class of 2015 Facebook page, and finding an assortment of answers to questions I hadn’t thought of; additionally I found it necessary to follow every University of Chicago related blog on Tumblr, and find myself smiling at the pictures of and information about my school. I honestly can’t wait to start college. I want to meet new people, spend afternoons in Harper Memorial Library, and play Intramural sports like my life depended on victory for my house (Palmer, that is). To me, O-week shines as a beacon of light at the end of this arduously long, and hot summer.

To put it frankly, I can hear my name being called by the winds whipping through Chicago.

[ pagebreak ]

So far, my nerves have shown themselves only in small bursts. For example, when I look at my pile of things for school, (which has grown exponentially throughout the summer and now takes over half of my dining area) I feel a flutter in my stomach. Nerves aren’t something I’m embarrassed about. I’m about to begin living almost completely on my own in a large city over a thousand miles away from my hometown, San Antonio, TX. This is a huge step. I won’t have my family nearby to respond to my every beck and call, and I’ll be taking classes at one of the highest levels available to undergraduates in the country. Furthermore, I know that every single person in my class will be feeling the same way that I am when we say goodbye to our parents during the first day of orientation. I’m able to calm my nerves with thoughts like this. I’m about to have so many shared experiences with the Class of 2015 that will bring us together and all but make us forget that we were ever shedding a tear after the bagpipe procession. And of course, before long we won’t have time to think about our nerves—we’ll have problem sets to do.  

Among the largest changes that college will inspire for me will be the long hours I plan on spending in the library. As far as I’m concerned, my education has just become my full time job for the next four years. Of course I’m looking forward to the semi-open schedule to fill with my interests (RSOs, sports, parties, and friends), but my main concern will be my classes that I’m excited to begin. For me, the daytime activity I’m looking forward to most during orientation will be the meetings with my advisor to plan my first quarter schedule. The University has so many interesting course offerings, from Chicago Blues to The Economics of Crime there has to be at least one great opening for this fresh eyed first year!

With 25 more days in the 100? heat of south Texas, I’ll be marking the days off my calendar (a la Harry Potter), and putting the finishing touches on my mental image of my perfectly decorated dorm room, knowing that my future friends and classmates are in the same position.
Why don’t we just think about this as our first shared experience!

Lynda Lopez is a first year at the University of Chicago currently considering political science and comparative human development as majors. Lynda has been avidly writing for publications, both online and print, since her sophomore year of high school. During her time in high school, she wrote for the Chicago Tribune, PBS Newshour, and the New York Times Upfront Magazine. She has continued her passion in college and is currently the News and Public Affairs Intern at the University Community Service Center at UChicago as well as heading the news department at a local non-profit. When not writing, she enjoys bike-riding, watching Youtube videos, and hanging out with friends. She is excited to bring Her Campus to UChicago and hopes that it will serve as an informative and entertaining resource for women on campus.