Colorful Runs Coming to Chicago!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Forget your average sweaty 5K run – that’s boring! This spring in Chicago, several colorful 5K runs are coming to the area, where runners start the race wearing white clothing and end completely covered in paint. These types of races are gaining popularity all around the country and are great opportunities to get involved in the running scene if you’ve never run a race before before but have always wanted to. On the other hand, if you’re a seasoned competitor, you can calm down your normal pace with the fun atmosphere. Don your white apparel, lace up your running shoes, and head out!

Run or Dye

Run or Dye’s motto boasts “Are you ready to race the rainbow?” The famed 5K is coming to Toyota Park – only 30 minutes away from Hyde Park by car – on May 25 and features six dye stations where safe powdered dye is sprayed on runners. Participants can sign up for $45 as an individual runner or $40 on a team.  Not interested in running? The organization is also recruiting volunteers and charity sponsors. For more information, check out http://www.runordye.com/locations/Chicago-2013.

Color in Motion

On June 2, Color in Motion 5K is invading Lincoln Park – only 25 minutes by car from Hyde Park. The race was originally scheduled for June 1, but due to overwhelming popularity from registrants, partially prompted from a Groupon deal offering registration for half price, the Chicago Parks Department suggested they move it to allow more participants. The event works similarly to Run or Dye’s and encourages both athletic and inexperienced runners. The event is $50 for individuals and $45 for team members. For a limited time, those who sign up can get an extra $5 off by posting the event’s information on their Facebook page by linking their purchase to Facebook during the checkout process. Volunteers and charity partners are needed here as well. For more information, check out http://colorinmotion5k.com/Chicago.

While any pace is acceptable during these races, if you’re looking to get in shape, there are a plethora of 6 week training programs available online, such as this one from About.com: http://running.about.com/od/5kracetrainingschedules/5K_Race_Training_Schedules_for_Runners.htm

An eternal optimist and big dreamer, Maxine is a thoughtful gift-giver, fiendish mogul skier, caring friend, and spunky pre-med student with a passion for journalism. A first year in the College, Maxine hails from New Jersey and hopes to major in Comparative Human Development. She loves Mexican food, winter, her green Jeep, and her two Presa Canario dogs, takes way too many photos, and feels so incredibly honored to be living and learning in the amazing city of Chicago.
Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!