Beat the Cold…Fashionably

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

It’s the end of January in Chicago and that can only mean two things, bitter cold and chilling wind. And we are at The University of Chicago so unless there are life threatening temperatures or snow up to our knees, we will have class. So how does one make the trek from the dorm to class? With a few essentials you will be sure to stay warm this winter.

The right type of boot is key to keeping your toes from freezing when walking on the snowy sidewalks. But not Uggs. These boots are quite deceiving. Lined with sheep fur and knee high, how could they not keep you warm? For one, they are not water proof and even if you spray them with water proof repellent, you will still end up with wet boots and chilled feet. Second, they have absolutely no traction; slipping in the snow and falling in front of Cobb is not a particularly appealing scenario. What you need is real snow boots.  Boots such as L.L. Bean or Sorel provide the warmth, traction and water proof necessary for this winter.

Layer Up! Do wear that thick sweater under your coat. With the wind chill dropping temperatures below ten degrees, the extra layer will keep you warm to the core. A thin long sleeve or a t-shirt underneath will accommodate the unusually warm class. 

A good pair of denim jeans will fare well in the cold but when out for extended time or in tundra-like temperatures they might not be enough. No worries, snow pants will not be necessary. Instead, try putting on a pair of tights or leggings under your jeans. If leggings have become as regulars as jeans in your attire there is a way to keep your comfy legwear through the cold months. Fleece lined leggings are thicker than normal leggings and this was even freezing temperatures will not keep you away from your style. You can find these online or at Nordstrom’s Rack downtown. While at Nordstrom’s you can pick up a pair of wool socks to line your favorite boots. For those of you unaccustomed to the Chicago cold you can even put the fleece leggings under your jeans. Your legs will stay warm, and my Californian roommate can vouch for that.

Don’t let the freezing temperatures and dry air rob you of your soft skin. Keep lotion in your backpack to prevent your hands from drying out. Also always wear gloves—your pockets may keep your hands warm but gloves are the extra step to protect your skin. Chapped lips are never a good thing. Have chapstick on hand and slick some on every so often will ensure your lips to stay soft all throughout the winter.   

So stick it to the weather; with the proper precautions you can stay warm. As UChicago students it would be unnatural for us to not try to outsmart the weather. And just as importantly, stay cute while doing so.

Kali West

U Chicago

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.