5 Ways to Improve Your Instagram Game (Insta-game?)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

You might have used it once in 2011 to share a photo of your cat or you may regularly use it to upload pics of your Starbucks, but Instagram has undoubtedly evolved from a simple photo-sharing app to a full-fledged social media entity. But it’s gone beyond that, too: The Instagram profile has become something of an art form of its own, and it’s time to leave Pic Stitch and the Toaster filter behind. Whether you’re looking for maximum likes, trying to perfect your profile’s aesthetic (like me) or simply bored of mediocre photos, here are a few tips to get back on track and kill that Insta-game, 2015-style:

1) Never use Instagram to edit your Instagram photos.

It’s all too easy to choose a photo and slap on Hudson, Valencia or Lo-fi but it’s time to bid them farewell. The pre-set filters are kitschy and overused. I don’t want to look at your photo and instantly recognize Kelvin’s signature cringe-worthy yellow. Instagram has added a few new filters, but I’d recommend forgoing them entirely in favor of my editing app of choice VSCO cam, which is completely free, or Afterlight for 99 cents.

No matter what you do, just don’t use the weird Polaroid-style borders that come with each Instagram filter.

2) Never let a filter do all the work!

It rarely can, and sometimes a bit of brightness can make a world of difference! Remember you always have the option to lessen filter effects or increase/decrease options like exposure and contrast – though there is definitely such a thing as too much saturation – and choose your filters wisely. There’s no need to drench your photo in unrealistic sepia tones or overshadow it with a vignette.

In my opinion, the best-edited photos look like they haven’t been filtered at all and may be taken with a really nice camera, but absolutely not like your 13-year-old self just discovered Picnik.

3) Look at your profile and not just your individual photos!

Instagram is honestly a terrible app for photography. After you select a photo, it considerably decreases its quality. Technically speaking, photos with an expanse of blank space or a central focus end up looking best on Instagram. A coffee cup or a book can make for as good a picture as detailed scenery.

You can also focus on making your collection of photos look really good as opposed to any single one. Varying color schemes, lightings and focuses of photos can create a gorgeous or eye-catching array of photos on your profile and give you inspiration for what kind of photo you want to Insta next.

4) Borders.

What probably started off as a way to eschew Instagram’s mandatory square space has now turned into a way of creating an entirely new aesthetic. Spreading out your photos with white borders can easily make a busy profile look neater and more refined. Apps that will do the trick are Afterlight, InstaFit, InstaSize and Image Sizer (the latter two are also alternative options to the all-too-often used Pic Stich). Although borders are absolutely not necessary for a top notch Insta-game, they open up new options for your posting style and can give your profile a whole new look.

5) Follow other Instagram accounts!

We all use Instagram as a visual manner of keeping up with our friends – and maybe our favorite celebrities. But you can also follow users simply because you like their photos and to gain inspiration for your own! I never really thought about taking photos of everyday objects or using borders until I noticed people I followed were doing just that. Look through hashtags you’re interested in and the Instagrams of your favorite YouTubers and bloggers, or just take a closer look at what your friends are doing!

At the end of the day have fun with it! Make your Instagram into something you’re proud of. Just never use Toaster or Kelvin.

Felicia is a second year at the University of Chicago majoring in Political Science and Spanish. She likes Instagram, coffee, Photoshop, road trips and Broadway. She is originally from CT and looks forward to studying abroad next year!