“Wicked – A New Musical”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Ladies and gentlemen, the fall season means one thing. It’s touring time for Off-Broadway musicals. This includes “Wicked: The Untold Story Of The Witches Of Oz” by the incredible Stephen Schwartz. This revolutionary musical began running in June of 2003 and hasn’t slowed down since. “Wicked” goes behind the scenes and back in time to the land of Oz before Dorothy dropped in and walked all over everything. Believe it or not, Glinda (the Good Witch) and the Wicked Witch of the West (known in this new musical as “Elphaba”) actually met back in college, which is where the story begins. 

Beginning as roommates and certain enemies for life (you’ll have to see the musical to see how that turns out), Elphaba and Glinda are forced to work together to make it through this uncertain time in every young person’s life. It’s through a series of unlikely events that these two truly begin to bond (I didn’t say “become friends”). 

The story follows them through the end of college where Elphaba and Glinda have been granted an audience with the Wizard of Oz. Yes, as in THE Wizard. But when their trip to the Emerald City takes a wrong turn, Elphaba quickly becomes an outcast. Here is when she officially decides to defy gravity. Now that Elphaba is ostracized by the entire population of Oz, how will she ever make a difference as a witch? You’ll just have to go see the musical to find out. This incredible masterpiece is told with a script unlike any other through a myriad of characters and songs that will keep you on the edge of your seat and will make you want to defy gravity and become a regular at the Ozdust Ballroom.  

“Wicked: The Untold Story Of The Witches Of Oz” is on tour now and is currently playing in the Kansas City Music Hall through October 18, 2015. 

Madison Covington is a Northwest Arkansas native and a junior at the University of Arkansas. She is studying Communications with a minor in Political Science. She loves to read books (about EVERYTHING!), watch movies, and write about stuff! Her favorite animal is a penguin and has been since year four. She believes that no matter what your dream is, you should do whatever it takes to reach it and to not give up until you're there.  "You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way." - Jennifer J Freeman