Studying Abroad: Where to Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Do you want to study abroad but don’t think you can afford it or don’t even know where to start? Those were my two problems when I started thinking about studying abroad. The good news is that the University of Arkansas study abroad office has a very descriptive website that tells you all of the steps you need to follow. It is located here: Study Abroad- Getting Started.

It’s a good idea to pick a program that will count toward your degree. If you are a Freshman or Sophomore, you’re lucky because you have more options to chose from. If you are like me, the options are limited, but still available. I am studying in Panama this summer to complete a minor in Economics. I needed 6 more hours for my minor and this program, along with the Brazil faculty-led program, was exactly what I needed.

When thinking about studying abroad, you shouldn’t put a price on it. The experience alone will be priceless. However, if you are worried about how much it will cost, chose a program in Central or South America because those are usually less expensive. The University of Arkansas provides many students with scholarships every year to study abroad. You should definitely apply for every one that you can. You can find this information here: Scholarship Information. I received a $3,000 scholarship from the Walton College of Business, which covered half of my program.

So, now that you have all of this information, schedule a consultation with one of the study abroad advisors. They will guide you the whole way through and make sure you take care of everything you need to study abroad. (479) 575-7582

Hannah has a love for beauty, fashion, and trying new products! Add her on Intsagram and Twitter: @hannahvls