Stress: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Growing up, no one ever tells you how stress will come to affect your life. It is not written out in a handbook. It is not taught in a class. It is not something you learn until you experience it. Not all stress is bad stress. Sometimes it is what keeps you motivated and keeps you from doing absolutely nothing, but sometimes it prevents you from doing anything at all. Too much stress is bad stress. It overwhelms you and pulls you down, but it also teaches you about yourself and how you can do better next time. 

Everyone responds to stress differently and everyone has different ways or dealing with it and overcoming it, but there are a few things that I have learned along the way that have proven helpful in overcoming all types of stress. The good, the bad, and definitely the ugly.

1. Go for a run

Working out releases endorphins that make you feel good. It is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety and serve as a small distraction from your daily worries. For more information on the benefits of working out in times of stress check out this link – Exercise Relieves Stress

2. Listen to music

Music has a huge hold on our emotions. A song can bring you to tears, make you jump up and dance, or send you into a coma of happiness. It may take you only one song to bring you out of your funk, or it could take a whole album, but either way it is a great way to to relieve stress and get productive. If you are a Spotify user, it is one of the best music apps to find what kind of mood you want be in. You can search by moods and get exactly what you need.

3. Get Creative

Finding a creative outlet is another great way to manage stress. Whether it is writing, painting or drawing, or tackling some of those DIY projects you have been pinning, finding a way to creatively express yourself can take away some of the stress you’re experiencing and open up your mind to new ideas. Being creative, in some ways, helps me figure out what I really want and gives me time to step back and see my position from a different perspective.

While I am not an expert with years of research to back up these techniques, I am a college student dealing with an immense amount of stress. These techniques have helped lower my stress levels – or at least relieved the worries for a little while. Take a break, relax, and know that you aren’t alone. Keep on keeping on ladies and your hard work will be rewarded!

Taylor is a junior at the University of Arkansas. She is studying Public Relations/Advertising and Marketing and is a member of Delta Delta Delta. Taylor is from Fayetteville and loves writing, fashion, and traveling.