Shelby Steingaeber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

A young Arkansas woman should empower her fellow students, enlighten her sisters and be the face of both elegance and grace; thankfully, Her Campus Arkansas has uncovered just that. Shelby Steingaeber is a Sophomore at the University of Arkansas, serving as a loyal member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Aside from being a sister, Shelby also serves as the Vice President of Leadership for her chapter and is involved in the New Greek Council Executive Board. Additionally, she is a DJ and Marketing Director for KXUA 88.3 FM radio, serves as a member of the organization “U of A Young Democrats”, and is a lobbyist for RESULTS, which advocates for the international funding of HIV/AIDS research. Recently, Shelby became a brand ambassador for Something Urban as well as an intern at the Walton Arts Center.

Shelby is especially grateful for her opportunity to serve as a Marketing Director for KXUA 88.3, which affords Shelby the time to work closely with her passions and work with local artists in the process. “Working with innovative artists has given me such valuable insight.” Shelby states. Music has always been such a large part of her life, as she is a vocalist and pianist herself. “Professionally, I’ve had the privilege of helping develop our station underwriting program. Weekly, I visit local businesses and seek donations to be used towards station equipment and DJ education.” Shelby says. “We acknowledge these financial supporters on air. I whole heartedly believe in the work our radio station does, and it’s never felt like work promoting the station! It’s pretty tight.”

After graduation, Shelby intends to enlist in the Peace Corps, whereupon Shelby would like to serve overseas for two years in a third-world country. If accepted, Shelby hopes to specialize in community development. Later on, she has hopes of working for a non-profit organization.

Fun Q & A:

Q: If you could be any Disney princess, which would you be?A: “Cinderella! She is the epitome of classic beauty.”

Q: You have won one million dollars. What do you do with it?A: “I’d fund the installation radio communication technology in developing countries….the power radio has to implement change is profound. Even something as simple as a health education broadcast, if it reaches remote areas, can be influential. I’d also buy a lifetime supply of coffee. I’ve got a think for Onyx. Local is love.

Q: Would you rather have to sing everything you say or constantly have theme music following you around?A: “I sing all the time, even when I don’t know all the words. I still belt it out. So I would be down to make it an official thing!”

Q: Describe your fashion sense!A: “A little bit of everything! From glitzy cocktail dresses, to combat boots and beanies, my closet is all over the place. I’ve done a lot of work with Tony Bowls, both modeling for him and custom designing evening gowns, so I especially like his work. Tony understands that fashion isn’t about what is right or wrong, or what people think. He gets it, in a way not everyone does.”

Q: Pink or purple?A: Pink. Always. Every day. I just made a pink tutu for my boyfriend’s puppy, and I think it’s safe to say I was more excited about it than the dog was.” *wink*

Tiffany Ward, a Junior at the University of Arkansas, joined the Her Campus Arkansas team in 2013 and now serves as the chapter President. Along with being an English major, Tiffany has a minor in Legal Studies and Pre-Law emphasis. Tiffany is a loyal member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Tiffany loves to write articles that provide advice and fun to her readers.