This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Avid readers of Her Campus Arkansas, I come to you today with a social issue that needs to be squashed. Leggings are not pants. I know those neon leopard print spandex pants have been begging you to wear them, but let’s not. I know everyone is on this athletic-chic trend. (AND I AM ALL ABOUT IT, TOO). However, there are some trends that just need to die when it comes to fall fashion, and this is most definitely one of them.

(Photo courtesy of Gotcha Images)

Do not get me wrong, I have totally fallen accustomed to this comfy trend, but there is an even larger trend within this trend that is taking over…trendception. My only problem with wearing leggings is when I can see your puppy printed panties, or even worse…absolutely nothing. 

So you’re walking to class, staring at the sidewalk and listening to Beyonce, and you look up to see the inevitable: over-stretched butt hug-ers with little blue britches peeking through. You are instantly caught in the most challenging inner turmoil with your moral conscience. Do I tell her or don’t I? Seriously, they should cover THIS in your business ethics class because this will prove to be a real life scenario an uncomfortable amount of times.

(Photo courtesy of Google).

All I can say is this: thank goodness we have passed the awkward “super shiny psychedelic” leggings trend because that was just unbearable. It was like adding a glistening spotlight to whatever undergarment you were wearing that day. I am so sorry to the ladies who go commando.

Then there is the awkward moment when all you can see on someone’s behind is the mountain their underwear seam is making. Like, who invited you to the party? How can that even be comfortable? You know when you’re sliding those pants on and feel the extra growth of clothing just making it’s presence known, and yet you still decide to leave the house feeling that way. This makes absolutely no sense.

Personally? I like to always wear a tunic-y cut top if I am wearing leggings. It covers all the bases, and since it adds extra girly-ness I have an extra ounce of sass in my step. I don’t care if you think that leggings and a t-shirt is just THE comfiest outfit on the planet. It may be, but that doesn’t mean it should be worn in public. If this offends you, you’re just as guilty as I was 2 years ago.

(Photo courtesy of Google).

Look at this young lady sporting proper legging attire; and look how quirky comfy she seems.

The only time it’s acceptable to break the tunic shape rule, is when you are at the gym, leaving the gym, going to the gym or a yoga teacher. Because we all know those yogis never break character. If you follow the long cut guide, you will never be walking around campus wondering if the cute boy behind you is smiling at your derrière or laughing at your wedgie.

If you still cannot let go of this trend, just go to jeggings. Those are just as comfortable and, hello, you have pockets! Total game changer. Plus, unlike leggings, jeggings are a lot more sturdy and so they keep things from… jiggling.

It’s also really awkward when your pants match your flesh.

(Photo courtesy of Google).

I just hope the all across the nation we can band together and end this traumatizing epidemic. While leggings can be comfortable and cozy, we need to keep is classy and cover our bases.

Also, Aztec leggings need to die.