Caitlin Murad Goes Beyond the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Dallas native and senior Advertising and Public Relations major, Caitlin Murad, has made the most of her time at the University of Arkansas, juggling school, an internship, and a wide range of extracurricular activities.  As she prepares to complete her college career, Caitlin reflects on the past four years and the impact that the U of A has left on her.

Initially deciding to attend the University after seeing the accommodating journalism department, Caitlin quickly became involved both with her major and within her sorority, Pi Beta Phi.  She is currently the president of the Arkansas chapter of PRSSA and was formerly the vice president of event planning for her sorority.  Last summer, she began an internship with Wal-Mart, where she worked on many social media projects. 

“I interned for Walmart last summer and was able to help on social media projects on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+,” Caitlin said. “I also got to create Vine videos for some of the big corporate events… I have been able to learn so much and work on some really fun projects with the Walmart team this year.”  

After graduation, Caitlin hopes to move to New York City, where she will work for a PR agency.  She believes that this setting will give her exposure to a diverse range of clients. 

“[Public Relations] is a combination of writing, working with the media, and being an advocate for your client or company,” Caitlin said.  “I also love the PR industry because it is always changing and there will always be a new challenge to work on.”

She gives the faculty at the University credit for greatly helping her in her success, both academically and professionally. 

“The faculty and staff at the University of Arkansas are so willing to help you succeed,” Caitlin said.  “As long as you take the initiative get involved on campus by joining an organization on campus or running for a leadership position, they will recognize your ambition and help you in any way they can.”

Born and raised in Kansas City. Sophomore at the University of Arkansas.